lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
oneuvafu77
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine options for Yamaha G8

Guys I'm new to the forum...I wanted to ask what engine options would you recommend for a G8. My current cart has a seized J38...and I'd like to replace with something with more torque and climbing power. Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks.
oneuvafu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Engine options for Yamaha G8

The Vegascarts VC 460 kit works very well in the yamaha G2-14 that you can install in an afternoon and yes I have one in my G14.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

You want torque...go Briggs V-Twin More expensive then the Vegas single clone, but...it's just money
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Vegascarts also sells the yamaha vanguard v twin kit with a nifty long twin tube header. With them showing the new prototype billet aluminium motor plate for the VC 460 in the yamaha G2-14 I wouldn't be surprised to see one for the v twins in the near future.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes you can generally go with a clone 420 for low as 200, better one for 300, vegas twice that, vanguard way more if its new. Really depends on what you want, how far you want to go. Kits and mounts are more but way faster to install. A stock good clone 420 is roughly twice the power of a worn stock motor, with a few cheap parts you can run higher top speed with no governor. Vegas motor is like a built clone it has a lot of performance parts and a cam so it makes more power and the parts and block are HD to hold up. Its a deal you can't hardly buy the parts for that. A twin is another animal lots of torque and they sound cool too but cost more unless you find a used one. You can usually put in a 420 clone for less than a good rebuild (bored rebuild) and you get a brand new motor too, that is why so many use them. They can be setup almost like stock except for the power increase of course if you work on the exhaust to get them quiet. I have a 420 from home depot in my G9.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
oneuvafu77
Not Yet Wild

Guys thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I'm really looking to get a little more power/torque for climbing more than anything. Cart will be used to cruise around hunting property and our neighborhood! Nothing too crazy. Again just looking for a little more power overall.

I guess the 420 clone is a good option, huh? At least it sounds like it. Again thanks for the input!
oneuvafu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

420 clone is the dirt cheapest option for near twice the power and a new pretty reliable engine to boot. The lifan is a better clone that is what home depot and some others sell, they are largest maker of small engines in world so I tend to recommend those but do what you want lot of people get harbor freight predators also. The Vegas is a fantastic option if you want more performance and have the budget, they also have install mounts and kits that help a lot if you can't fabricate stuff. Lot of other engines can be put in as well as vanguards and the HF predator v twin (about same cost as the vegas but slower and more torque likely but no performance parts yet). If you are looking minimal the 420 is the cheapest, its a bored and stroked copy of the old model honda GX390 13hp they are usually rated at 15hp and without a governor at least that. You can put HD springs and timing key in them for like $30 and take the governor out, just get some hours on it before you wind it up a lot. If you want more think about the Vegas 460, you can put all those parts on a 420 but it will be a lot more labor and more cost in the end likely. The 460 will have more power and high top speeds. They will blow by a stock twin easily.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha