lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #1
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Post Belts, Clutch Machining, and Springs... Oh my !!

Been doing reading, research, and such and see what MODS for power/ speed for my 2008 gas Club Car:

1-Machined Driven Clutch

2-Severe Duty Drive Belt

3-Spring (POWER KIT)

What is the Pros - Cons to each of these ??

Which ONE is the biggest bang for the buck ?? Talking ROI Here !!

What is the best two combination of the three ?? or go all three ?? does anyone haev all three and worth it ??

Most importantly IF you do a BB Conversion do these transfer over or no longer applicable or usable ??
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Belts, Clutch Machining, and Springs... Oh my !!

Well having a Clock Wise rotation reared isn’t ideal for a big block swap.
You’ll have lots of low end torque but will lose top end.
So your B.B. swap may not happen if you want top speed
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:56 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

First off... the severe duty drive belt is a must! (it lasts SO much longer than a stock belt)

Combining all 3 will give you a lot of hill climbing torque, but NOT additional top speed.
Everything that I've read about people doing all 3 have been VERY happy getting the extra torque out of their 9.5hp FE290 engine!

And BD is on the right track... when mixing a counter clockwise big block with the clockwise transaxle,
your gear ratio changes because your using your reverse gearing to go forward,
and that alone supplies all the torque you'll ever need, and negates the need for the mods to the driven clutch!
AND... most of the good kits (Clone or Briggs) replace the belt and driven clutch anyway! (depending on what big block kit your looking at)

Granted, the price is right if you plan on keeping your stock engine for a while, and you'd like the extra "grunt" to help going up hills!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #4
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I do not know Club Car but have done the following on my Yamaha:

Spring (POWER KIT)
Having changed my primary clutch from an original to a performance one sold by CPP, I was suggested to change at the same time the spring of the secondary sheave to counterbalance as they work together.

Perhaps it gave me more torque but I cannot say I remember a lot of difference.
Severe Duty Drive Belt
More than a year later, I had to change the drive belt and opted for a G-Boost severe duty. This belt is by far a good belt and my next one will be the same for sure.

This being said, I never noticed any signs of increased performance...
8:1 gear installed with machined Sliding sheave
I started a thread two months ago (click here)...

Concerning your topic, I replaced the machines sliding sheave by the original one and cannot really notice a difference in torque.
May I insist on the fact the region is really flat, so perhaps it could be different in another region...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 AM   #5
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Okay bear?

What are we going for? Are we going for speed, are we going for torque, or good mixture of both?
Lockman really hit it on the nail, bear are you going to keep this engine? Or down the road are you going to replace it?
This is an awful lot of work and extra money you would be spending unnecessarily if you plan on doing an engine swap down the road.

If you plan on staying stock this is the correct setup.
The heavy-duty belt is in the first thing you need, because the belt has to work in all kinds of conditions such as rain or snow or wet weather.
The second thing I would do would be to order the spring kit rear driven clutch,
The next two steps can be controversial, the first thing unbolt the brown wire to the rev limiter, the second thing strap tie your throttle cable wire, after you do all of this if you are still not happy with the way this thing accelerates or pulls then you can do the Machining on your clutches.
If you decide to do these last two steps, I highly recommend and I cannot stress this enough to put a simple tachometer on, so you can watch your RPMs, because you will be moving much faster....
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

ok, so lets elaborate a little bit

Pretty subtle landscape here, nothing major and no mountains or hills for the most part. Maybe a slight incline or hill on occasion, nothing major. This is Coastal Virginia :)

I am personally going for the best of both. Like to get a good speed kick with some low end torque when needed. Like to have a good cruising speed with the low end torque to push you back and go whoa. nothing suicidal but fun to drive and play.

Let me ask this, whats the best speed one can get out of a FE290 keeping in its comfort zone/ sweet spot on a Stock Cart ?
What about with a 4-6" lift and upgrade tires to match ?

I am a car guy love the sound of a tuned gas engine and the feel of the low end torque putting you back int eh seat and the feel of air in your face cruising !!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #7
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Oh Yeah, got my Fuel Filters and Replacement Governor Cable from David @ Revolution Yesterday !!
Old 01-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #8
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Bear,
My little DS 290 used to go 28 miles an hour at 4000 RPMs with 12:1 years,

But that was with the rev limiter and snap tie trick

Just in case you're interested with her located, rev limiters to the left side of the oil filter, and the strap tie goes back to the back where your transaxle is......

Bear do all of those things and if you're not happy then have your clutch machined......
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
HBR
Gone Wild

We have a CPP machine driven clutch and 8:1 gears. We have some steep hills in town and the little 290 struggles a bit on those. But otherwise it is a great setup. It easily goes 30mph+ and cruises at 20mph at a nice low rpm.

We also have the double cogged belt. The engine has over 650 hours on it and I dont see much wear at all on the belt.
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Also... 23"+ tire size has a lot to do with loss of torque, and higher speeds!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car