lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Chris1179
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default New tire selection help

Hello to you all! I am new to the forum and this is my first post. My apologies if it’s in the wrong place .
I have spent the last 2 months restoring an old 88 Yamaha g2. She has what has been described to me as an old school lift kit which is 6”. i Have stock 8” rims which are what I’m stuck with due to having a wife that will kill me if I spend too much more on this cart!😜
I’ve seen many pictures of larger tires that seem to be on the 8” rims . Can anyone please suggest what the largest tires are that can be put on my cart ?
A special thank you in advance for the expertise that I have been able to draw upon so far by reading on this forum .
This might be my first post but many of your posts have helped me to turn this old girl into a good looking, running cart!
Chris1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: New tire selection help

Check with these guys:

www.golfcarttiresupply.com

They'll fix you up.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
Chris1179
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank You so much !
Calls them and got great info !
Regards,
Chris
Old 03-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have 22x11-8 on my G9 cart, they work well. You might go 23 or 24 but most lifts run out of room then on G2/G9s. I guess now I would get 10 or 12 rims, but I like some tire to handle rocks and roots on the trails I ride so no low profile for me. You can't use the stock rims they don't have offset, mine are 3+5 offset stock is 3.5+3.5 the large tires will hit the inside frame and well. You can get steel ones pretty cheap, last I looked the spun alum douglas kart rims I have are around 50 each the same I paid in '99. But I saw 10s for similar price. Some lifts and brakes will not clear 8 wheels so I'd not get them again, but they have worked really well for all these years.

Many people go with 22s on G2/G9 carts. You need a lift that moves the front arms forward to fit those or only 20s fit. You have to remove the rear bumper mounts to get past 24 inch, and ideally move the cradle back also. But in 22s there are a lot of choices because its a popular atv tire, the atv rated tires are much tougher and don't get punctures like 2 ply will.

You might fit a 22x8 or x9 on stock rims, maybe, but the cart will not be that safe. The offset makes the track wider and should be added for stability when you lift a cart. You could run spacers with stock wheels, but cost can be near what new wheels are. You could also search for used set of wheels and tires, since most all carts are 4/4 bolt pattern, and get some for lower cost that way.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
Chris1179
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you Sho305!
A lot of great info.
I was not aware of the offset or use of spacers for additional stability.
I now shop with a lo more knowlege!
😊
Old 03-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The offset is inside and outside, so mine are 5" to the outside from the mount surface, that is 1.5" more tire/rim outwards than before. That is what helps stability that makes the cart 3" wider in effect.

22 or maybe 23 are the standard for G2 or G9, they start to hit after that. I had to trim the rocker and body to fit these 22s. I also haul wood and sand in the box and even with the shocks moved up it still hit until I trimmed more. But every tire is a little different some stick out more some wider, etc, even at same size. My floor is 18" high off ground.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha