lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
mrsnake1
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie with new g9 build

Hey everyone. First I want to say thanks for keeping up this site and providing all of the great info. I have been lurking on the site for a while and finally took the plunge on Friday and picked up a '94 G9 for $750. Looks like hell, but the body is in good shape (aside from the horrible rattle can job that is flaking off) and she runs.

I have some fairly lofty goals for this build. I want to take her down to the frame and build her back up into something that will rival a side by side. I know it's going to be expensive, but so are side by sides and like you guys say, it's more fun to transform a machine that wasn't intended to do this sort of thing.

So I have a million questions, but lets start with engine and suspension. I want ridiculous power (because I can), and I see there are lots of options. Vegas Carts has their two engines and a kit to just install a Vanguard twin and the guys at CPP also have a couple kits. Anyone have an opinion or lean one way or another? Are there other options I am missing (aside from Harbor Freight)? As for the gearing in the rear end, when you run one of these big engines, should you drop to 8:1 or 6:1 gears if you are aiming for more speed? Does that sacrifice torque that you would need or do the big engines make enough to compensate?

For suspension, I want it set wide with long travel. Is the Jake's kit the right way to go there? I can't remember where on the forum I saw it now, but I think I saw someone with a custom setup on the rear end to let it articulate a bit. Is that something that has been done many times or a one off? It seems like tires in the 24-26 inch range are what the big engine off road crowd is doing. Is bigger better here?

Lastly, I have to stop this thing. I saw some threads with scottyb and others from several years ago talking about using the G16 four wheel disc brake kits on a G9. Is that a thing? Does it require any major modifications?

That's it for now. It's my first post, so if I didn't do it right and put too many questions in one place, just let me know. Thanks again guys, this is a great forum.

Mason
mrsnake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha