lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #11
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 1982 G1 J17 Information and upfitting Catalog

May not help your thread, but just a little info about 1982 J17's. Cylinder/ head/ reed assembly/ manifold/ carb/ oil pump/ muffler/ nut ring (cylinder to muffler attatchment)/ and engine mount bracket are all specific to 1982/J17 car's. I have used J10/J24 mufflers on J17 car's, but you need a J24 nut ring and cut and reweld the muffler support on the engine mount bracket. Are you going to add any power to a J17 going to a J anything else, not much. Have a good running engine, the governor turned up, zoom zoom. If it's not fast enough....might consider a "sled" motor.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #12
JerEazy
Getting Wild

A valid response. The difference in power is probably only as noticeable as adding a CAI on a truck.

But when considering a full top end rebuild, you go through the “What if” scenarios.

We’ll see what happens with these cranks seals this week. Fingers crossed they get the cart running properly.
JerEazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #13
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

What was your base line compression check at wide open throttle?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #14
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Didn’t do it at WOT - so I’ll have to retest. But came back at 105-110
Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #15
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
May not help your thread, but just a little info about 1982 J17's. Cylinder/ head/ reed assembly/ manifold/ carb/ oil pump/ muffler/ nut ring (cylinder to muffler attatchment)/ and engine mount bracket are all specific to 1982/J17 car's. I have used J10/J24 mufflers on J17 car's, but you need a J24 nut ring and cut and reweld the muffler support on the engine mount bracket. Are you going to add any power to a J17 going to a J anything else, not much. Have a good running engine, the governor turned up, zoom zoom. If it's not fast enough....might consider a "sled" motor.
Good information. I was pondering if the oil pump was different. Just trying to get information for all the 82 owners that are on here and may join later. Just seems to be a lot of these popping lately. For some reason I tend to find more 82's around me than anything else. I wonder if these items stamped as well.

So would swapping the engine mount bracket and changing the nut ring make swapping the exhaust a bolt on deal?
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #16
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
What was your base line compression check at wide open throttle?
Re ran at WOT - same result - 105ish
Old 08-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #17
JerEazy
Getting Wild

Mike asked I post some pics of the G17 exhaust. Mine is a late model G17 based on what I can tell. Here is the exhaust on and off (I cleaned it and was drying/cooking it for a bit on the gas grill. Not as effective as the camp fire.

Here is where it connects to the jug. There was NO gasket behind theee, but there is a recess for a crush metal gasket. The part number matches off of the snowmobile engine of the same year. Fit great and stopped the blow by

Here is the exhaust removed

It’s easy to take off again if anyone wants to see it from a specific angle. Or whatever let me know. I am debating calling up a custom exhaust shop and seeing what they could fab up. Mainly I just don’t like the exhaust dropping right under the passenger seat. Would rather see a rear exit, at least dump it out near the rear wheels
Old 08-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #18
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

my J17 exhaust with the butterfly valve. I may have a muffler shop make me a piece for the rusted part as the rest seems nice and solid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg j17 exhaust.jpg (282.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg j17pic2.jpg (270.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #19
JerEazy
Getting Wild

What is the difference between the j17 and j10 head (if any) - and also, how much can you safely shave off of the head to bump compression?
Old 08-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #20
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

the head is the same but the jug is different. the ports of the J17 engine are smaller. Atleast the intake is smaller and the reed cage is also different.

I think I read on here somewhere you can shave the head .010
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha