lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
shibbershabber
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G2A, Which Battery best for running accessories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
What exactly is the issue you're throwing parts at?
Well, not quite throwing parts at it in vain yet.

The cart had been sitting dead for two years before I got it.

Battery was shot and the starter/generator was no good, per previous owner.

I think the solenoid is dead...

I get nothing when I hit the pedal, but if I cross the two large terminals on the solenoid, it will turn over.

I swear I at least got the click before I started the project, but once its back together I get nothing. Its not quite open heart surgery in there, so I cant imagine there was something that didnt get reconnected.

If crossing the terminals turns it over, that tells me that all the other parts are functioning correctly.

However, my wrench spinning life has been under hoods, this is my first go 'round with a cart.
shibbershabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 PM   #12
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Check the stop switch at the gas pedal. 12v goes from the key, thru the stop switch, to the solenoid.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Use a meter and put the leads on the 2 small ter.inals of the solenoid. Turn the key on and press the pedal. You should see 12v read on the meter.

One side of the solenoid goes to ground. The other side goes.frkm battery to key switch to pedal switch to solenoid.

Check that first and let us know what you find. A 10 second check with a meter will immediately tell if the solenoid is good or not.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #14
shibbershabber
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Use a meter and put the leads on the 2 small ter.inals of the solenoid. Turn the key on and press the pedal. You should see 12v read on the meter.

One side of the solenoid goes to ground. The other side goes.frkm battery to key switch to pedal switch to solenoid.

Check that first and let us know what you find. A 10 second check with a meter will immediately tell if the solenoid is good or not.
With pedal depressed... There is no voltage across the two small terminals of the solenoid.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Ok. First check the red/white wire on the solenoid. See if it has 12 volts while the key is on and pedal depressed.

Then check the other small terminal on the solenoid, make sure it has continuity to ground.

Silly question, but have you checked the main fuse? I think it's a 10 or 15 amp fuse, should be somewhere near the drivers rear fender near the voltage regulator (unless it's been moved)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #16
shibbershabber
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Ok. First check the red/white wire on the solenoid. See if it has 12 volts while the key is on and pedal depressed.

Then check the other small terminal on the solenoid, make sure it has continuity to ground.

Silly question, but have you checked the main fuse? I think it's a 10 or 15 amp fuse, should be somewhere near the drivers rear fender near the voltage regulator (unless it's been moved)

Fuses were good.

Bottom terminal has continuity to ground

Top terminal nas NO volatage
Old 03-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Ok good that narrows it down quite a bit.

Check for voltage on both wires at the key switch with the key on.

Then find the 2 wires at the base of the gas pedal. One will have voltage with key switch on, the other wire will show voltage when you press the gas pedal down, but no voltage with the gas pedal released.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:06 PM   #18
shibbershabber
Not Yet Wild

Wires at pedal, no power on either, pedal up or down

No power at the ignition. There are 4 wires there and there is no power to any of them.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Follow those back to battery or solenoid that is your problem. Key should be hot all the time. The small connectors on the solenoid and the battery cable connections are well known to have issues! Also remember everything is ground wired other than the engine block, so it can be a ground wire as well as a hot wire causing your issue. Always meter test back to the battery for hot so if you have power there you know its maybe bad ground. I have to measure mine I'm getting new batt cables, I've had the power go out many times it is the clamps on battery.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #20
shibbershabber
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Follow those back to battery or solenoid that is your problem. Key should be hot all the time. The small connectors on the solenoid and the battery cable connections are well known to have issues! Also remember everything is ground wired other than the engine block, so it can be a ground wire as well as a hot wire causing your issue. Always meter test back to the battery for hot so if you have power there you know its maybe bad ground. I have to measure mine I'm getting new batt cables, I've had the power go out many times it is the clamps on battery.

While tracing wires back to battery....

The black wire that comes off of where the Negative cable meets the starter/generator, I followed it up through the fuse and into the Voltage Regulator....

That wire going into the regulator has continuity with the other terminals in the regulator...

Is that supposed to be? Possibly something is shorted out in there which might be part of my problem?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha