lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
Cob
Not Yet Wild

Default D&D vs Admiral vs EMP

I am going to post here because it seems like there is more activity here than on the Yamaha thread.

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

I am about to pull the trigger on a new motor. I have a 2012 Yamaha 48 volt with a 6 inch lift, 23 inch tires, and 4 seats. I have an alltrax 500 controller, heavy duty solenoid, and 1/0 battery cables. I use this 50/50 on road and off road.
When its off road its on steep hills with a lot of gear or pulling a trailer.

I am looking at D&D 502-1, Admiral MOT D2, or an EMP motor.

Are there pros and cons to the different manufactures? Is one better than the other?

Thanks
Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
djo
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: D&D vs Admiral vs EMP

I bought a high torque from EMP. It works great on steep hills--has plenty of power so the speed doesn't drop much.

Great customer service too.

My only complaint is that it eats the battery power. I had to dial the controller back or I couldn't finish 18 holes if I pushed it at full throttle going up the steep hills at my course.
djo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
mjroman20
Gone Wild

I've worked with Chuck at EMP a good bit. Hes a knowledgeable guy and does some crazy motor voodo s#!+. If you need something very specific I would recommend him. Most of what I have seen from him outperforms requirements. He'll take a lot of stuff into consideration when designing the motor. Terrain, vehicle weight, tire size, gear ratio, desired speed, etc. That said you will likely pay a bit more for it if you don't have a core.

D&D and Admiril has a lot of the same kinds of upgrades you may get from EMP but they tend to be designed for stock controllers and are pretty cookie cutter; torque or speed upgrade. Still good equipment just generic.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

I have no experience with D&D or EMP, but I did put an Admiral in my 42 volt PDS cart, and it has been great. I bought it from ScottyB and of course he gave me the tech support needed to install it. Installation was easy, but I did require a little help to get the correct field map installed.

It now runs 25 mph and will climb anything.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by djo View Post

My only complaint is that it eats the battery power. I had to dial the controller back or I couldn't finish 18 holes if I pushed it at full throttle going up the steep hills at my course.
Pretty much any high performance motor is going to eat through a battery pack charge much faster than a stock motor/controller. You're pulling double (or more depending on the setup) the current draw through the motor so batteries just won't last as long. perfectly normal.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Interesting thread started by orangeman6 and probably worth reading for anyone in the market for a motor. Plus I believe he is still active here and would probably respond to a PM to follow up on his experience after the motor was put in service.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...r-options.html
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
DPkiller
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I wont say anything discriminating against another vendors products here (Admiral Motors) but I will say every single MOT-B2 I sent out came back and I never had a issue out of D&D's 502,500 or 501.

When you pick a motor dont try to find one for your budget.
I have yet to put hands on a PlumQuick or EMP as D&D or HPEVS has generally covered the bases pretty well.
DPkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:57 AM   #8
Cob
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your replies.

I emailed EMP with what I'm looking for and I have to say their customer service was not good at all. I received an email asking for a physical address of where I would be using it at. I related that I couldn't give them a single address because I use it at a lot of different places. I said that while on paved roads, it wont be more than a 10% grade and the off road grades will be up to 50%. The response that I got was, without a physical address we dont care and will assume that it's only a 10% grade.

They lost my business.
Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well that is an interesting retort from a business!

Wish I could give you insight here. However, I still have not even been able to do the motor break-in yet. I will say, I did climb a short, decently steep, wet grass hill (more than 10% grade). It only required about quarter throttle I would guess. This is with an Admiral A4 high torque motor. The Alltrax operating in "normal" mode. You can see in my signature everything I have.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:08 AM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I got a D&D custom wind sepex motor and am very happy with it. Vic can build a motor to any specs you need. Be prepared for a lot of questions on the build and use of your cart when you call him as he will want to know if an off the shelf motor is a good choice, or a custom one.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO