lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
gwsmith1
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery cable length 36v versus 48v

I am getting ready to have new battery cables built for my 97 TXT DCS 36v cart. I will likely go to 48v next time I have to replace the pack and would like to make sure that the cables we are doing now will work as far as length goes, since we are running 1/0 welding cable. It looks like they will need to be longer because of the location of the terminals on 8 volt versus 6 volt batteries. Does anyone have an idea on what the optimal (minimum) length I would need ?

I am also looking at adding a 12v deep cycle and moving all of the 12v circuits (headlights, tail lights, etc) to there. I know that this will involve adding a second charging method, but I am okay with that. We do use the cart a lot after dark so the lights get used quite a bit. Has anyone else done this ? Would the benefits outweigh the cost ?

Thanks for the help !
gwsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery cable length 36v versus 48v

4/16 and 1/14
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Battery cable length 36v versus 48v

Yes your battery cables will need to be longer for the 8 volt batteries. I have ran extra 12 volts for lights and such. I have also ran the cables of 2 of the 6 volts in the pack to the 12 volt battery for emergency use in case the 12 volt goes dead. I used a shut off between the 12 volt battery and the 2-6 volts to keep them separated until needed.

I also run a extra solenoid that is operated by the key switch so it cuts everything off and I can hook the brake lights up to it also so when the brakes are applied and turned off they go out.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #4
gwsmith1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks scottyb!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
gwsmith1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Yes your battery cables will need to be longer for the 8 volt batteries. I have ran extra 12 volts for lights and such. I have also ran the cables of 2 of the 6 volts in the pack to the 12 volt battery for emergency use in case the 12 volt goes dead. I used a shut off between the 12 volt battery and the 2-6 volts to keep them separated until needed.

I also run a extra solenoid that is operated by the key switch so it cuts everything off and I can hook the brake lights up to it also so when the brakes are applied and turned off they go out.
Andy4639, that is exactly what I am planning to do. We are often out after dark and like the option of having the backup of the original tap off of the pack. If you have any pictures to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Tags
+ 12v access. battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO