lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Default Lift Kit

Should be getting my G16 Jakes Double A arm lift kit. Does anyone have any experience or opinions with it? After learning a little more I think I want the Long travel lift Kit. My only concerns with it, is that I don't want a whole tire width sticking out past my body. I wouldn't mind 2 inches but not practically the whole tire. Any Thoughts?
Bubsbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Lift Kit

Here's my G16 with the same lift and 2" wheel spacers all around. No problems at all. I recently doubled up the knuckle arms since they could bend easily in certain situations. Fender flares help, too...

Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I have used this lift a couple times and IMO the double a arm lift isn't any better handling wise than the single a arm lift, it might be marginally better, but not much. The reason is the camber still changes as the wheels travel up and down, causing steering changes and bump steer issues. The upper a arm is not parallel with the lower, this causes the spindle to change angle as the wheel travels. When they designed the lift I think they didn't have enough room under the frame to make the arms parallel so they just made the upper and lower mounts closer to each other compared to the distance at the spindle. This is what creates the angle. It may be stronger with the additional arm, but that may be the only benefit. This is not to say that it's bad, they are good strong lifts. Just make sure you use good stock shocks. The stock shocks only travel about 2-3" which is all you need for normal use. If you install longer travel shocks, you will accentuate the camber angle issue.

If you want the best handling, go with the long travel kit, it actually improves handling and ride at the same time. The reason is the upper and lower a arms are mounted parallel to each other so that the wheel/spindle stays at relatively the same angle as it travels, creating better steering geometry and a better handling cart. Now there is a bit of bump steer because of the steering setup, but it's not too bad. The only way to cure the bump steer is to install a rack and pinion unit. If you do the rack and pinion, make sure the inner tie rod location is between the upper and lower a arm mounting points, this will help with the bump steer. The tie rods also need to be parallel to the a arms.

I'm kind of a nut when it comes to handling, sorry for the long post.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
Dave in VA

Yamaha

I understand what you're saying, and it's all valid. For the amount of use this cart gets, I just couldn't justify the cost of the LT. This lift replaced a single arm one, so I could go with 23" tires. It's more forgiving off road than the single A.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Bubsbuggie
Gone Wild

Thanks, I think I am wanting the Long Travel Kit. Does anyone know the dimnsions of the front tires from outside to outside in inches. I don't like the tires way outside of the body. Looks like I might get into fiberglassing my own finder flares.
Bubsbuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
I understand what you're saying, and it's all valid. For the amount of use this cart gets, I just couldn't justify the cost of the LT. This lift replaced a single arm one, so I could go with 23" tires. It's more forgiving off road than the single A.
Dave I hope you don't think I was harping on your setup. I was just giving my opinion to the OP so he/she can make the right decision. We all have different wants/needs/budgets etc. For years I drove around on a Jakes single A lift kit and it was fine. As I said, I'm just a nut. I like to drive fast so I need super tight and predictable handling, and brakes.

And Dave, thank you for your service! Semper Fi
Old 07-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsbuggie View Post
Thanks, I think I am wanting the Long Travel Kit. Does anyone know the dimnsions of the front tires from outside to outside in inches. I don't like the tires way outside of the body. Looks like I might get into fiberglassing my own finder flares.
Yeah the Jakes LT will widen the front a bit, I'd have to measure the G9 that I did. It all depends on the offset of your wheels. Most rims will give you the = - on the offset. For example +15 mm or -15mm. Stock rims I believe are at 0.

Another good reason to go LT is for the option of front disk brakes. What goes fast....must stop fast!
Old 07-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Dave I hope you don't think I was harping on your setup. I was just giving my opinion to the OP so he/she can make the right decision. We all have different wants/needs/budgets etc. For years I drove around on a Jakes single A lift kit and it was fine. As I said, I'm just a nut. I like to drive fast so I need super tight and predictable handling, and brakes.

And Dave, thank you for your service! Semper Fi
No problem, Andy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha