lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
thatoneguywhodoesthings
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Transmission on my G2 might be toast

I've got a rebuilt and fairly heavily modified G2 that I did an engine swap on a few years ago with a Predator 420cc engine. It has custom wheels and tires, lighting kit, new OEM wire loom, cooling fan, custom exhaust, paint and body, stiffer valve springs, governor removed, and accessories like tach, GPS speedo, etc.

I took it out for a test ride last weekend after finishing the rebuild and noticed the throttle cable began to stick, causing the engine speed to surge. Normally you'd just kill power to the engine, but a shop had recently done some work for me on this, installing the wiring and adjusting the timing on the engine. They also replaced the starter solenoid without asking me, and that solenoid quit working just before road testing it. The only way to kill engine power was to trip a manual breaker underneath the seat I installed next to the solenoid.

In order to kill the power, I had to stop the cart, apply the brake, shift to neutral, lift the seat, and trip the breaker. But, because the throttle was stuck and the engine speed running away, it was almost impossible to shift out of forward gear into neutral. I finally was able to, and now the transmission makes a horrible grinding noise whenever I shift to reverse or forward. I am able to see thou that both the F and R cables are operating where they connect to the transmission, so its most likely some damage inside the rear end. Anyone have any thoughts on what this might be? I can upload a video. Video of the rebuilt cart, minus the roof.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzXROxaJ...d=2jjmmgb61iy6
thatoneguywhodoesthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Transmission on my G2 might be toast

If your engine is running when your attempting to shift, that's likely your problem. These transaxles were designed to be shifted while the engine is stopped. If you are dead-set on shifting with the engine running, all I can suggest is turning the idle speed way down.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Transmission on my G2 might be toast

I agree, if the engine idle speed is high, the trans will grind when you shift into gear. Sounds like you need to check the throttle return springs and make sure they are strong enough. Also check the throttle to see if there is any binding.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grinding noise, j12, transmission
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha