lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2024, 03:29 PM   #1
yankee dog
Not Yet Wild

Default 1992 DS Crankcase Side Cover Removal

I have owned this club car for about 15 years and it's been well maintained and runs great considering it's age. I did a bearing replacement in the transmission a few years ago without issue. Other than that, I have pulled the clutches for miscellaneous maintenance, rebuilt the starter/generator, installed a lift kit etc. It will sit in storage all winter and starts up like it ran yesterday. Anyways it been a good cart and don't owe me a thing.

So now I have the somewhat famous crankcase cover gasket leak. I have been watching the "how to" videos and I understand engine needs to be removed. I have no issues with that part and have a good grasp on what needs to be done.

I do plan on replacing the 6306 crankshaft bearing because I am in there, but my real concern is the camshaft/oil pump slot staying properly seated/mated to the oil pump. I have watched the videos on the damage that can be done by improper placement and am basically heeding the warnings.

While I only plan on replacing that bearing and the gasket/oil seal, I have no intentions of pulling the camshaft. So do I really need to be concerned about it coming unseated for this repair? Can the cam shaft be easily accidently dislodged during this repair or is it only a concern if I actually pull the camshaft? Unless ignorance is bliss, this seems to be my only concern with the project.

Thanks for your time.
yankee dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2024, 03:59 PM   #2
Iaff113
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1992 DS Crankcase Side Cover Removal

You will know when you look at the cam/crank alignment if it is not properly set in. If you were still worried about it. You could take off the oil pump cover replace the gasket and make sure it's seated that way also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iaff113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 04:00 PM   #3
Iaff113
Not Yet Wild

Default 1992 DS Crankcase Side Cover Removal

Also if you have any doubt about anything order Brad Porcellato rebuild book off Amazon
Iaff113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:42 PM   #4
yankee dog
Not Yet Wild

"You will know when you look at the cam/crank alignment if it is not properly set in"

That's the information I am looking for. Thank you.

In the videos I watched, I noticed how the cam gear rests against the crank gear. To me it looks like the cam sits a little deeper into the engine than the crank gear.

I saved a screen shot so I can compare when things are apart. I will use that as a reference.

While I don't have any plans to take the flywheel off, I will get a new oil pump cover gasket just in case. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:44 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Pulling the side case and replacing the gasket is super easy. Really nothing to worry about. You won’t be anywhere near the oil pump to worry about that either.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that bearing go bad. I probably wouldn’t bother replacing it.

While you’re in there clean the oil pickup screen with brake cleaner.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160310

This may help.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:58 AM   #6
yankee dog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Pulling the side case and replacing the gasket is super easy. Really nothing to worry about. You won’t be anywhere near the oil pump to worry about that either.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that bearing go bad. I probably wouldn’t bother replacing it.

While you’re in there clean the oil pickup screen with brake cleaner.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160310

This may help.
Yes I planned on cleaning that screen. Thanks for the tips. I read your post (and saved it) a few days ago, appreciate it.

I will check out the bearing after disassembly and go from there.

I guess it's just the fear of the unknown and (I don't like surprises) more than anything else, however I'm looking forward to the project. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:46 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

FYI: On that earlier style engine cradle (round tube cradle frame) that side cover can be done in the cart. Can save a fair bit of disassembly/reassembly. The round tube is low enough to reach the bottom bolts on the cover and slide that cover out. Later ('97+) have the stamped steel engine tray with a standing lip around the edge that makes it impossible to get the side cover off while the engine is in place.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:56 PM   #8
yankee dog
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: 1992 DS Crankcase Side Cover Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
FYI: On that earlier style engine cradle (round tube cradle frame) that side cover can be done in the cart. Can save a fair bit of disassembly/reassembly. The round tube is low enough to reach the bottom bolts on the cover and slide that cover out. Later ('97+) have the stamped steel engine tray with a standing lip around the edge that makes it impossible to get the side cover off while the engine is in place.
Thanks for that info. I did not know that.

I think I will still remove the engine as both the engine and cradle could use a serious cleaning from 30 plus years of use and at least 20 years of driving down dirt roads and trails.

I figure I can do a more thorough job of cleaning everything with it out. It still has the original foam rubber sound deadening in there and that is now completely saturated with oil so it's gonna go.

Gasket arrived today in three pieces, good thing I'm not in a hurry to make the repair.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car