lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Intermittent Solenoid Clicking On and Off

Hey Guys! While trying to fix my my rear suspension issue I unfortunately ran into another problem. Ha
I went to test drive the cart about a half mile last night and the cart ran great, fully charged with a lot of power. Then all of sudden stops. No clicking. I push the cart the rest of the way home and look around to make sure there weren’t any loose cables or something. I reconnected the batteries and then I hear the solenoid click and the cart moves. I test drive it again (stayed very close to my house) and it drove great again. After a few minutes the same thing. No clicking noise and no movement. I couldn’t get it to work again after that last night. Then today I go in the garage and turn the cart on, press down on the accelerator and the solenoid clicks and the cart moves...

The solenoid is just a month or so old. I did have a previous problem with a solenoid connection which made a very powerful electrical “slippage” / chattering sound. I’m not getting my that now. The cart has been running great and I haven’t messed with any wiring except removing the main positive and negative battery cables.

Is there a way to test if I just have a bad solenoid? Any and all input would be very much appreciated! As usual! Lol
Caseyrollins08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Intermittent Solenoid Clicking On and Off

Should I just change out the solenoid with the assumption that’s the problem or is there a test to perform on the solenoid that I have that would tell me wether or not the solenoid is failing?
Old 12-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That sounds like the proverbial 400a MJZ (or MZJ or whatever the nomenclature) that has been plaguing many with sticking. Take the butt of a wooden hammer and tap it briskly and it will usually free up and close. I replaced a view and then started bumping them, and after a few times none of them stuck again.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Update:

I replaced the solenoid. I then go to test it and turn the cart on press the accelerator and hear a click near the front of the cart but no click from the solenoid and the cart doesn’t move... thoughts?
Old 12-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Also I would like to add that the last time I was able to drive the cart the reverse buzzer wasn’t coming on and the cart wouldn’t go in reverse.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:59 PM   #6
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Also to note: I have pack voltage across the 2 large post on the solenoid.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:00 PM   #7
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

51.2 volts after sitting for 8 hours.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

This doesn't seem to be an intermittent issue anymore...

Could I resistor wire be a reason for the cart to completely not move? When I was originally upgrading my solenoid I broke the terminal ring off by accident and then reconnected it. Then the other day when I was installing a new solenoid it seemed a little loose still. I went ahead and ordered another resistor today to see if that's the issue...

I've included a picture of the resistor that I just ordered off Amazon. Which side needs to go to the main positive lug on the solenoid?
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture50.PNG (56.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

So the pre-charge resistor was not the answer either.

I just tested the solenoid and with the cart in forward and the accelerator down I’m getting zero volts on both the large and small post on the solenoid.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #10
Caseyrollins08
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looking through other threads I was seeing a test for the controller by placing the VM leads on M- and B- on the controller... I could be going down the wrong direction but I gotta try something!

With the F/R lever in forward and the pressing down on the accelerator I have 51.0 volts.
With the F/R lever in forward and NOT pressing down on the accelerator I 51.0 volts.
It stays at 51.0 volts the whole time my leads are on M- and B-
Is this normal?

Tags
clicking, intermittent, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car