lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2021, 06:50 PM   #11
GCS290
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48v 100Ah Evoltion low battery voltage

Thanks everyone for your responses. I believe the charger came from Evolution with the battery but I did not install the setup so I will check for sure tomorrow. It is not the Eric charger that came with the cart, so I was assuming it was correct. I will check and charge the cart. She had mentioned the AC cord was getting extremely hot but I do not know the size cord she was using either. I will also look into getting her the meter you recommended. I just wanted to make sure before jumping in too far that I wasn't going to go backwards. I appreciate all of your help. I will let you know if anything else comes up.
GCS290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2021, 07:25 PM   #12
GCS290
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Hi Mike,

As others have said, 50.8v is a flat 48v lithium battery. That voltage would have recovered a little so it probably got down to 48v before the BMS started protecting the cells.

Also, I’m not suggesting that you are as you haven’t confirmed it, but reinforcing that you CANNOT use a lead acid charger for lithium. Lithium batteries require a constant voltage, constant current (CV/CC) charger or power supply. Depending on the design and the CC setting, they can get quite hot but the incoming power cable shouldn’t, it should be rated to carry the required current. Due to the CC topology, The charger will get hot regardless of battery charge except when the battery is almost full, when it changes over to CV.

The discharge curve of LiFePO4 is very flat, so a voltage based state of charge meter is only good for telling you when your battery is full or flat. It is useless for anything in between. Best install one of these.

https://www.renogy.com/500a-battery-...xoC0UYQAvD_BwE

Cheers
Pat.

https://www.evolutionelectricvehicle.com/batteries/#bdi

This is the meter that comes with the battery and has a certain spot to plug into the battery, obviously isn't doing its job which is unfortunate. Just going to be hard to explain to the customer that said it used to work correctly. Have you had any experience with these?
Old 08-10-2021, 11:53 PM   #13
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi Mike,

No experience at all with any drop in solutions. My conversions are custom built. Sorry. That meter looks like it has more than just a positive and negative connection so there may be some sort of culoumb counting going on in the background.

If they say it used to work correctly, maybe get in touch with Evolution and see what they say.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #14
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS290 View Post
https://www.evolutionelectricvehicle.com/batteries/#bdi

This is the meter that comes with the battery and has a certain spot to plug into the battery, obviously isn't doing its job which is unfortunate. Just going to be hard to explain to the customer that said it used to work correctly. Have you had any experience with these?
I have zero experience with that brand of charger.

I do notice from the web site that there doesn't appear to have the A\C plug in 110V wire. Did the customer have to install their own 120V power supply wire? If so maybe the wire is not of a proper gauge to handle the current?

Just "tossing mud at the wall and seeing if it sticks."

I hope this helps.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
GCS290
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi Mike,

No experience at all with any drop in solutions. My conversions are custom built. Sorry. That meter looks like it has more than just a positive and negative connection so there may be some sort of culoumb counting going on in the background.

If they say it used to work correctly, maybe get in touch with Evolution and see what they say.

Cheers
Pat.
So I put it on charge when I got back from service this afternoon, about 2 hours in it was 54v and that gauge said 99%. I unplugged it for the night and will put it on in the morning and see how high it will get. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:23 PM   #16
GCS290
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
I have zero experience with that brand of charger.

I do notice from the web site that there doesn't appear to have the A\C plug in 110V wire. Did the customer have to install their own 120V power supply wire? If so maybe the wire is not of a proper gauge to handle the current?

Just "tossing mud at the wall and seeing if it sticks."

I hope this helps.
I plugged it in this afternoon with a good AC cord, no wires got hot, only thing hot was the charger, which I believe is just fine, due to the battery being in a discharged state regardless of what the meter was saying. I will let you know how it all plays out, thanks again for the help.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #17
GCS290
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Cheers
Pat.
So I charged the cart, gauge hit 100% charger shut off, right before it shut off voltage was 56.8v as soon as it shut off the cart dropped all the way down to twelve volts (took about 60 seconds gradually dropping), once it hit 12v something in the battery clicked and it went to 55v. I checked the cart a few hours later and it is sitting around 52.3 volts. Sure doesn't seem right to me, any insight? Waiting on a call back from Evolution.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:35 PM   #18
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
So I charged the cart, gauge hit 100% charger shut off, right before it shut off voltage was 56.8v as soon as it shut off the cart dropped all the way down to twelve volts (took about 60 seconds gradually dropping), once it hit 12v something in the battery clicked and it went to 55v. I checked the cart a few hours later and it is sitting around 52.3 volts. Sure doesn't seem right to me, any insight? Waiting on a call back from Evolution.
Appears to be something amiss.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:37 PM   #19
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
That sounds like a capacitor discharging when the charger shut off. There is no way a 100Ah battery will drop from 57v to 12v in 1 minute without some serious heat. (Read FIRE) The jump back up to 55v sounds like a relay clicked on (or off) re-enabling the output after a charge cycle and may be the way the system has been designed. Only Evolution can give you the complete answer.

52.3v is approximately 55% capacity. A fully charged battery should be 55v or above.

Since something has clicked back on, I would try reconnecting the charger and seeing it it will now take a charge.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #20
GCS290
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
That sounds like a capacitor discharging when the charger shut off. There is no way a 100Ah battery will drop from 57v to 12v in 1 minute without some serious heat. (Read FIRE) The jump back up to 55v sounds like a relay clicked on (or off) re-enabling the output after a charge cycle and may be the way the system has been designed. Only Evolution can give you the complete answer.

52.3v is approximately 55% capacity. A fully charged battery should be 55v or above.

Since something has clicked back on, I would try reconnecting the charger and seeing it it will now take a charge.

Cheers
Pat.
So I put the charger back on, it ran a few minutes and same thing. I will let you know what the manufacturer says. Thanks again for the response.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car