lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #1
Lilb1966
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 97 Club Car

Looking to upgrade so I don't keep getting stuck on a pebble on a flat road.
I have a 97 48V Club Car. Regen 1, and yes it's still running.
After lifting the cart 6" and 14" wheels and 24" tires, to say it's low on torque
is an understatement. Once she's rolling I'm good. Just looking for suggestions on what to look into and what not to waste money on. We do a lot of camping and in some pretty hilly areas. I hate having to make her get off and push. LOL
Lilb1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #2
Lilb1966
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 97 Club Car

Still looking for suggestions.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Hey Lilb, I'm not a sparky guy but low torque/speed with good batteries possibly means resistance causing low amps.
First off, how old are the batteries? have you had them load tested?
What size battery cables are you using? how old are they? condition of the crimped ends? clean connection ends on battery and motor/controller lugs?
When you are using your cart, after a hill it struggles on stop and open the seat and feel around on your battery cables for heat.
Be very cautious, excessive heat will burn you but tell you that you have resistance in the cables and should be at least replaced but more likely should be upgraded to a heavier set.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Going to 24 inch tires is going to reduce torque a lot. To get it back, you probably need to upgrade your motor / controller / cables / batteries.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #5
Lilb1966
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Hey Lilb, I'm not a sparky guy but low torque/speed with good batteries possibly means resistance causing low amps.
First off, how old are the batteries? have you had them load tested?
What size battery cables are you using? how old are they? condition of the crimped ends? clean connection ends on battery and motor/controller lugs?
When you are using your cart, after a hill it struggles on stop and open the seat and feel around on your battery cables for heat.
Be very cautious, excessive heat will burn you but tell you that you have resistance in the cables and should be at least replaced but more likely should be upgraded to a heavier set.
New batteries 4 gauge new cables. Only thing getting hot are the coils on the resistor coil. I think i'll have to go with bigger motor and controller.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
Lilb1966
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Going to 24 inch tires is going to reduce torque a lot. To get it back, you probably need to upgrade your motor / controller / cables / batteries.
Any suggestions on motor controller?
Do I have to upgrade from Regen 1 to an IQ first?
Old 10-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My experience is with Yamaha carts but I went with Alltrax and D&D for controller and motor. D&D makes a "high torque" motor. Others can chime in with their motor recommendations.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best bang for your buck
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car