lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #1
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: England.live in a small Hamlet(village) poulation28
Default EZGO valve timer

Hello,
Has any member made a simple tool to time the valves on their cart, the price on the sites is $300 plus surely there must me a simple way to save that cost.
rockinr382
rockinr382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO valve timer

What motor or year is the cart? I know there was a really good post in the tech thread at the top of the page that had some good simple suggestions.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is a post by "ezgotxtman" maybe it will help. re: EZGO 295 - 350 engine Valve Adjustment
Milo, I just taken a old pair of Slip Joint Pliers, taken them apart and used a hacksaw to cut a grove the length wise, and used a file to make the grove wider. This way I could have a tool that would hold the adjuster tip better.

BTW. I never (from the old school) adjust the values with the engine cold. I adjust them with a "hot" engine. I set the gauge at .004 and made the adjustments. I get a better more accurate .004. You must have .004 when the engine is running at it's peak performance, and performance always with a hot engine.. Make sence... don't you think?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
rockinr382
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: England.live in a small Hamlet(village) poulation28
Smile Re: EZGO valve timer

Bonecracker,
maybe didn't make clear what I was looking at, it was a tool to hold the cam wheels in position while fitting a new belt. Cart is 1999 295cc.
rockinr382
rockinr382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinr382 View Post
Bonecracker,
maybe didn't make clear what I was looking at, it was a tool to hold the cam wheels in position while fitting a new belt. Cart is 1999 295cc.
rockinr382
Shouldn't need it Loosen the belt tensioner and the cam's stay in place. Take a look at this thread and it shows pictures and everything you need to know.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...djustment.html
Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

i had my timing belt off, i just realligned the marks and stuck it back together
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 882001 View Post
i had my timing belt off, i just realligned the marks and stuck it back together
DId it fire for you?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agree with the no need for a tool to align the pulleys while installing the belt ??? I have taken a few belts back off and moved a gear one tooth and reinstalled the belt a time or two to get it right but if that's saving $300, it is well worth it...lol

On the subject of hot valve adjustment vs cold valve adjustment .... follow the manual for your specific motor.
If the spec is given 'cold' then the manufacture has given a measurement of space which he knows exactly how much it will decrease when the parts expand under operating temperatures.
If you use the 'cold' setting for a running engine you will end up with an excessive gap. This will cause excessive wear of the tappet and the valve end over time. The ezgo manual gives only .004 cold as valve adjustment spec.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Agree with the no need for a tool to align the pulleys while installing the belt ??? I have taken a few belts back off and moved a gear one tooth and reinstalled the belt a time or two to get it right but if that's saving $300, it is well worth it...lol

On the subject of hot valve adjustment vs cold valve adjustment .... follow the manual for your specific motor.
If the spec is given 'cold' then the manufacture has given a measurement of space which he knows exactly how much it will decrease when the parts expand under operating temperatures.
If you use the 'cold' setting for a running engine you will end up with an excessive gap. This will cause excessive wear of the tappet and the valve end over time. The ezgo manual gives only .004 cold as valve adjustment spec.
Thanks Scottyb, I forgot that was in the thread I did mine cold and also followed I think it was your suggestion on adjusting them at a quarter turn It runs better that it did when it was new.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's BoneCracker View Post
DId it fire for you?
runs great
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO