lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Default Need advice on "loose" rear on 2008 ST

Got a 2008 ST. Found a good deal on a Jakes "leveling kit". Installed all parts along with shock extenders.

Now, with any significant weight on back, it feels very loose and unstable especially in curve and bumps.

One thing I did was install rear shock extenders on the BOTTOM of the shocks because I was under a time crunch and it was easier than taking loose from top.

It already has 4 leaf springs on rear.

Any thoughts?
Firescooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Default Re: Need advice on "loose" rear on 2008 ST

Also...

The new tires are 22" 4 ply.

This DID NOT occur with the stock suspension and 20" stock tires.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
BoostedOne
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Editing my post a little, I guess you aren't talking about the cart in your sig.

Well, when you lift the cart you raise the center of gravity which will make it a little more unstable.. Add some off road balloon tires, you raise the cg even more.. and the balloon tires tend to have more flexible sidewalls and run at a much lower pressure(mine say 5psi max!)

You might consider just throwing your stock rims and tires back on if you still have them and run it down the road or wherever you ride.. If you get some of your stability back, you might just be expecting too much in the handling department from your lifted ride.. Mine is only lifted about 2", and riding on 22" tires.. over 20mph, you have to be paying attention to what you are doing if the terrain is anything other than a straight paved road.. Where as my Yamaha at stock height can whip around curves at 25mph without really thinking about it..

Another thing you might consider checking is your alignment.. I'm not sure about the new style steering setup, but on the earlier ones with a drop axle the extra distance from the steering box can increase your toe out.. Toe out creates oversteer(tendency to be very twitchy)...
BoostedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedOne View Post
Editing my post a little, I guess you aren't talking about the cart in your sig.

Well, when you lift the cart you raise the center of gravity which will make it a little more unstable.. Add some off road balloon tires, you raise the cg even more.. and the balloon tires tend to have more flexible sidewalls and run at a much lower pressure(mine say 5psi max!)

You might consider just throwing your stock rims and tires back on if you still have them and run it down the road or wherever you ride.. If you get some of your stability back, you might just be expecting too much in the handling department from your lifted ride.. Mine is only lifted about 2", and riding on 22" tires.. over 20mph, you have to be paying attention to what you are doing if the terrain is anything other than a straight paved road.. Where as my Yamaha at stock height can whip around curves at 25mph without really thinking about it..

Another thing you might consider checking is your alignment.. I'm not sure about the new style steering setup, but on the earlier ones with a drop axle the extra distance from the steering box can increase your toe out.. Toe out creates oversteer(tendency to be very twitchy)...
Gotta update my sig.

My previous cart was no where near this unstable.

I want to check my alignment as soon as I get back. Been reading about it, just having a hard time wrapping my head around how to do it I guess.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Does the leveling kit just use long shackles in the rear ? That can get squirrelly ..A regular lift moves the axle down and won't have the side flex
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Does the leveling kit just use long shackles in the rear ? That can get squirrelly ..A regular lift moves the axle down and won't have the side flex
Yes, just shackle extensions. Anything that can be done to eliminate this?
Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well option 1 is to put a different lift on the rear.. I have also seen where some lifts like this have a brace welded between the shackles on each side making them look like an H..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Ok, may do that (H shackles).

Also, the cart is much harder to steer than stock and my last lifted cart. Seems like the steering is in a bind or something?
Old 06-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Firescooby
Getting Wild

Anymore ideas?

Still at campground...so I haven't been able to do alignment or anything.

With anything more than my 2 small daughters on back, it's almost dangerous. It feels like a LOT of body roll when hitting any bumps or turning the steering wheel.

Thanks again in advance!!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

What consist in a Jakes "leveling kit"? and what did you do to the front? with two people in the cart is the tie rod coming in contact and rubbing on the spring?

also the best way to lift the back on a ST is with blocks under the springs, using longer bolts to tie it together, no need for longer (junk) shackles or shock extenders, I make my own out of square tubing 2" wide x 3.5" long x 1", 1.5" or 2" tall. Drilling a hole through the middle to except the alignment pin on the spring.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO