lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Brucep86
Not Yet Wild

Default Oil over filled?

Just picked up a 2003 gas EZGO that has been lifted and has the 295 Robin engine. I just read in the maintenance section where it was important to only fill the cart wth 1.5 quarts of oil, especially if it's lifted, but didn't read that until after I had added oil.

I looked in the air cleaner box and noticed what I thought was a gas/oil mixture. I cleaned it out and then added some oil as it looked like it was at the bottom of the stick. When riding the cart, it started smoking a bit and I could smell burning oil.

My question is, what happens if you overfill the oil? Will it just come out through the air cleaner until it gets to the correct level?
Brucep86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
mcdave71
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Oil over filled?

It will do that but it's hard on the motor until that point. It's worth it to get the excess oil out. Smack water real hard with your hand and you'll see what the piston is having to deal with but much worse.
mcdave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Default Re: Oil over filled?

it could also blow out crank seals.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
hittman290
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Cool Re: Oil over filled?

When you lift a cart the dipstick line becomes null and void. Check with engine specs to see how much oil the engine takes. Bringing the reservoir up to the fill line with a lift kit will over fill it. With a lift only ad what the specs say to add and no more, then make yourself a new full line and scratch it in. This is something no one tells ya when you buy a lift- It needs tobe the first thing and last thing in the directions. It usually blows into the exhaust and starts to burn off in the pipe and fouls the plug. But as mentioned it can blow out the seals if it's excessive... it doesn't sound like it was. I once blew out my new Harley by fillin' it after I was told it was drained for winter, you gotta put quite a bit in to blow a seal- doesn't sound like you did, if you just topped it off. Most likely I'll just blow it out the exhaust. These little engines can take a fair amount of abuse. On many lifted carts the float pin will rattle out of the float because of big knobby tires vibrating and then it sticks and fills the crank with gas and oil. It'll just blow out the exhaust and foul the plug and smok until it burns off. Maybe your float stuck for a brief period-check your oil for gas. Clean the plug or get a new one. Good rule- if you smell it, stop it! and get it out of there before it does cause damage. As many carbs rattle the float pins out once they have extreme tires-I usually put a little divit in the plastic next to the pin to hold it from slipping out. Many people also like to clean the bowl or carb and forget to draw a line with a sharpie for replacement reference-as many cart carbs line up just right with the bowl to hold the float pin in place. Hittman290
hittman290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO