lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
liltroy3333
Not Yet Wild

Default Starting Problems

Can someone please help. I just bought my son our first golf cart. Its an EzGo 2 stroke. I put a new battery in it and it started fine for a few days but now it will only start with a jump box or jumper cables. The battery still test fine. One of the lugs on the starter will get cherry red when its trying to crank. Could the starter be going bad and need rebuilding. I had the same thing happen to a lawn mower once. Would crank fine with jumper cables but wouldnt crank even with a new battery. I rebuild the starter and everything was fine. Could this be my problem again? Thanks ahead of time and I'm sure that this is the start of many questions.Can someone please help. I just bought my son our first golf cart. Its an EzGo 2 stroke. I put a new battery in it and it started fine for a few days but now it will only start with a jump box or jumper cables. The battery still test fine. One of the lugs on the starter will get cherry red when its trying to crank. Could the starter be going bad and need rebuilding. I had the same thing happen to a lawn mower once. Would crank fine with jumper cables but wouldnt crank even with a new battery. I rebuild the starter and everything was fine. Could this be my problem again? Thanks ahead of time and I'm sure that this is the start of many questions.
liltroy3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
CaptEd
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Starting Problems

A loose or dirty connection can create resistance, which in turn can cause heat. Try cleaning the lug and connector on the starter/generator and make sure it is good and tight when you put it back together.
Capt. Ed
CaptEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum liltroy3333..............
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
humvandvipers
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I would try to clean it up the best you can before you rebuilt it. Electric motors will get really hot when they are getting power and will not spin like you said. I have the 2 stoke as well but i have never had this problem. If there is no other way to clean it but to take it all apart and rebuild it. Then look how much parts are going to be vrs getting a used one somewhere that works.
humvandvipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
gscs85
Not Yet Wild

Cleaning up the cables is definetley the first step, However dont be scared of the starter/generator my buddy gave me a copy of the disassembly instructions and I was able to get new bearings and brushes under forty bucks on the Web. It really was quite easy. If you need a copy of the instructions, leave a note and I will see what I can do to get them scanned.
gscs85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
liltroy3333
Not Yet Wild

that would be nice if you could get that information on the starter for me! Does anyone have a wiring diagram for my cart. Its a 1988 ezgo 2 stroke gas. I think I might rewire the whole cart while I am working on it. Man I'm new to the carts and I'm just know realizing I have so many questions. Can anyone tell me the oil to gas ratio to mix the fuel? I also have noticed a cable that is loose that runs from the throttle on the carb to an "arm" that pushes up again one of the clutches that is loose. Can someone tell me what this is and what it does?
liltroy3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

Your cable thing is or was part of the governor system. see pics. Gas mix 1oz per gal for light, normal use, 1.5oz per gal for heavy, run the piss out of it, use. I have some diagrams for a 89 if it'll help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gov1bm1.jpg (34.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg gov2at7.jpg (33.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg gov3dc0.jpg (66.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 89b3cn.jpg (47.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 89c0fr.jpg (36.1 KB, 19 views)
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO