lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
braynshock
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G19 - Rebuild and custom-built EMP motor

Hi All,
I'm new here, been using the forums for info the past month, but wanted to share an experience I had upgrading my motor.

Background on the cart:
I recently bought my first cart, and have been restoring a G19 that was a non-runner, and a rust-bucket. I stripped it down, sandblasted the rust, and primed and painted the frame, fixed bodywork and primed/painted, added streetlegal lighting kit, rear seats, etc. Then got to the electricals.

Cause of non-running:
The solenoid was shot, and the stock motor controller wouldn't trigger the solenoid, but I could bypass the solonoid and the controller would run the motor (forward only). So I installed a 400 amp solenoid, and upgraded the controller to an Alltrax XCT48500-G19 (from D&D). The existing 4 Gauge wires were quite nasty, and introduced resistance, so I made a 1/0 Gauge cable set (upgraded the Field wires to 4 Gauge in the process).

Performance issues (stock motor):
Our neighborhood has pretty steep grades, and driving up 20+% grades it would slow to 8mph (with the 500amp controller and stock GE Regen motor). On flat street it would do 16mph. 5-10% grade would get about 10mph.

Deciding on which motor:
I contacted several companies and Chuck at EMP was the most informative, he educated me on all the specs, and areas of concern to look out for, and motor capabilities to meet my requirements.

After several email conversations, we settled on 170-505-0001A-LR3.14t. Which is a modified D&D 505:1. This has many upgrades, including 50 amp field coil, heavy duty brushes, temperature sensor, and other things i didn't understand. :)

This motor with the Alltrax 500amp controller at 48V will give me approximately 9.3HP max (4.2HP continuous), and max of 75-80 ft lbs of torque, with a max RPM of 6700. It should withstand high temperatures (~400F), and should have the best uphill speed.

The upgrade:
UPS dropped off the motor, and I swapped it out last night, running on stock tires, I grabbed the neighbor (for the extra weight) and we were flying up a 20+% grade at 17mph!!!, on the flat street we hit 24mph, and up a 5-10% grade we were doing 20mph... and my batteries were only about 90% charged.

Conclusion:
I'm super pleased with the upgrade, and just wanted to share the experience with EMP...
Chuck is amazing, patient, and takes the time to understand what you really want.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4886.jpg (89.1 KB, 0 views)
braynshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Kerusm
Getting Wild

Default Re: G19 - Rebuild and custom-built EMP motor

Welcome and thanks for sharing. Seems you have a awesome cart now. Good job. Before and after pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kerusm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
braynshock
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks!
Yeah it looks fairly stock, but runs like a scalded dog now :)

I think I got the before/after pics resized to fit up here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4889.jpg (184.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4878.jpg (218.0 KB, 0 views)
braynshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Big EMP fan here as well. Took tons of time with me and provided amazing information. He build a motor specific to my needs and I am beyond happy with the performance.
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
Kerusm
Getting Wild

Looks good and a perfect sleeper. Probably going to be surprising a lot of folks when that foot is heavy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kerusm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha