lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
charles g
Not Yet Wild

Default 1980 G1 vibration

Hi all

I have a 1980 G1. when I accelerate at high speed there is a strong vibration that shakes the whole cart. I jacked the rear wheels off of the ground and also tried it. When I accelerate with the wheels off the ground I get the same thing, a strong vibration. This happens at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I watched the two pully's and they don't appear to be out of round. Can someone please give me an idea as to what might be causing this. Thanks.

Charles G
charles g is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: 1980 G1 vibration

First guess would be a broken weight/roller/something in the drive clutch.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
charles g
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Spriddle

I checked the inside of the clutch and nothing was broken. The roller pins are worn so I turned them over and greased them. This seemed to take alot of the vibration out. Would a rebuild probably take care of the rest? I also noticed one of the plastic shoe ramps on the secondary sheave was missing. Could this also cause a problem? Thanks again for the advice on this forum. You all really know your carts.

Charles G
Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

You'll need to replace the ramp shoes but that shouldn't cause it to vibrate. Jack the rear of the cart up for safety (use safety stands) and run the engine with the drive train engaged. See if the rear clutch seems to be out of round (the inner sheave). If so, the bushing in the inner sheave is probably damaged due to not being greased regularly. And it does sounds like you may need to rebuild or replace the drive clutch.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
dock98
doin it in the desert

Yamaha

welcome to BGW.charles g.http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/introductions/
dock98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
mike24yamaha
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Did you check your motor mounts?? can you move your motor around? There made of rubber and fall apart over time. mine did anyway.
mike24yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
charles g
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice. I checked the motor mounts and found that one of the front ones has a large crack in the rubber. How stiff should the rubber be? This one feels kind of lose. Are there suppose to be four rubber mounted mounts? On the rear two mounts there's just two blocks of hard plastic and that is all that is between the engine mount and the frame.

Thanks again for all of the help.
Charles G.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
charles g
Not Yet Wild

I just put 2 new motor mounts on the rear, and man what a difference, no more vibration. Now it's on to new king pin and bushings. Any tips or tricks? Again, thanks for the help.

Charles G
Old 08-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
mike24yamaha
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I knew it was the motor mounts. Mine vibrated like crazy and found the motor mounts cracked. i could move the motor around with my hand glad to see it worked for ya
mike24yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha