lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
ajfritz868
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Question swing arm bolt problems?

Alright, I'm in the process of painting my body pieces and I found some problems with my frame so I figured since I was having to do alot of frame type work, maybe I should do the swing arm drop since it's all tore apart anyway. I got my major frame problem fixed (or at least I think so) and now I'm going to try and make the new bracket modifications. The current bolt that holds the swing arm in place is on the drivers side and is right next to the battery. At one time the battery must have leaked and now all the metal in that whole area is all corroded and rusty. Well this bolt is right in the thick of that and I have a feeling that if I try and take that bolt out so I can start modifying, it's going to break or something and I'm going to get into alot more problems that I maybe should just avoid all together. Any advice for a rookie cart fixer? Has anyone that has done this drop had a similar situation that turned out just as they had planned? I'm looking for someone to say 'it's no big deal, it'll come right off, just start twisting' but I feel it's not going to be that easy. Any advice would probably be good advice, especially for me.
ajfritz868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: swing arm bolt problems?

aj, what's the worst that can happen? You still have the one on the other side to hold up the sub-frame, and you can always support the frame where you remove the bolt from..... I would rather remove it and fix the problem now than chance it breakin later. Or remove them both and just let the frame sit on the ground while you do the work, I think all the cables have enough play in em.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

and check out "the New Guy" Bad Boy G9 thread (links in his sig) for some bracket ideas........
Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
ajfritz868
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do. I think I'm just going to start turning on it until the bolt comes out, whether it be from breaking and beating it out or having it come out easy as can be. I hope this cart is never this torn apart again so I might as well fix whatever I can right now while I can get at it. I'm a little hesitant just because my dad (JFritzSD) is worried that the bolt might be stuck in there to the point when we start turning on it, the bolt just busts off on both ends and you're left with a bolt that is stuck in a place where it can't be beat on to get it out of there. Time will tell. I feel the swing arm drop is going to have to happen while I have the chance to get it done.

My dad has told me about it and I have looked for it to see how it all works, I searched for it and saw some pics of TheNewGuy's beefed up drop setup. I don't know if I need to go quite that heavy duty but then again, we've got the metal, maybe it's worth just putting it in there?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

If the head breaks, just take a drift and drive the bolt out the other way. You've got room in there! Think about those brackets, they keep the that whole rear assembly in line, so they need to be pretty solid.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
ajfritz868
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah they will be strong, I was thinking of making them more like PV9's that were made off of TheNewGuy's first design that got ripped up and had to be replaced. Like I said, I'll see if I can get those bolts out and then do a little engineering from there to come up with something that will do the trick. I like how PV5's use the original mounts. That's really nice how they turned out. If I make mine like his, I don't think I can hardly make them so they end up out of line unless I can't weld it square, which I hope doesn't end up as a problem. The next few days here will tell alot. My plan to fix this was to just paint it and put on my lift kit and tires then a few extra's here and there. This was never part of the plan, but like I said, might as well do it up big on the first one, that's how I feel anyway.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha