lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Newby needs help

Bought a yami this weekend, I think its a g2 or g9. The guy I bought it off of had it stored in his barn for about a year. Only wanted $500 for it and its in descent shape so I figured I would make it a winter project for the garage.

I got it home, put a brand new marine battery in it, new plug and was expecting to be able to fire it right up. Wrong. I hear ticking from what appears to be the starter (and the starter got hot after several attempts of starting). But it doesnt seem to want to turn over. Have fresh gas also.

My question is, can I turn the motor by hand to make sure the motor isnt locked up?
svmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: Newby needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmoore View Post
Bought a yami this weekend, I think its a g2 or g9. The guy I bought it off of had it stored in his barn for about a year. Only wanted $500 for it and its in descent shape so I figured I would make it a winter project for the garage.

I got it home, put a brand new marine battery in it, new plug and was expecting to be able to fire it right up. Wrong. I hear ticking from what appears to be the starter (and the starter got hot after several attempts of starting). But it doesnt seem to want to turn over. Have fresh gas also.

My question is, can I turn the motor by hand to make sure the motor isnt locked up?
Yes, pull the plug out put the shifter in neutral (straight up) and the engine should turn by hand.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Do I turn on the pulley itself? I was under the impression there would be somewhere I could put a ratchet on to help with turning it over. I will try your suggestion.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

If the engine will turn over, more than likely the brushes in the starter/generator are bad or corroded if the cable going to the starter is getting really hot.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmoore View Post
Do I turn on the pulley itself? I was under the impression there would be somewhere I could put a ratchet on to help with turning it over. I will try your suggestion.
Turn the clutch, shouldn't be hard to turn with the plug out.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, I will try this as soon as I get home this afternoon. The cable itself wasnt getting hot that I noticed, it was the starter itself. I will report back.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Yes, pull the plug out put the shifter in neutral (straight up) and the engine should turn by hand.
For some reason the engine still wouldnt turn by hand. Now I am thinking that it may be locked up, only from sitting for about a year ?? I manually tried to turn it over by turning the basket of the clutch.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If it is the rings that have rusted in the bore, you could try a healthy squirt of PB Blaster through the plug hole. Let it sit overnight then try rotating the clutch in both directions to free them up.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
If it is the rings that have rusted in the bore, you could try a healthy squirt of PB Blaster through the plug hole. Let it sit overnight then try rotating the clutch in both directions to free them up.
Yep, I would try this next.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
svmoore
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I put a couple drops of oil down the plug coil, but to no avail. I will try PB blaster to help free it up. Is it common for these motors to lock up?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha