lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Exclamation Wiring problem? Need a different point of view.BAD!!!

I have an electrical problem on my yamaha G-16 gas cart, here goes. When I have the key on the turn signals,head lights, brake lights,running lights,radio,and everything else electrical works great. Now when I put my foot on the gas pedal and make the connection in that switch it starts the cart and runs like normal,but while its running the turn signals don't blink,the head lights do blink,the brakes lights wont work, and without hitting the brake just the drivers side brake light stays on. All this goes away when I let off the gas pedal and the cart is not running. Every ground is going to a ground block off the neg side of the battery and all the power for the accessories comes from a fuse panel that is hooked to the the key switch so nothing will work without the key on. I at first thought it must be the switch shorting out but that's not the case. Then I checked the engine ground and it seems OK. So now I am looking into finding the body ground but I cant find it so far. According to the wiring schematic it should be coming off the buzzer to the frame but I don't see it anywhere. At this point I will try anything. Please guys any help would be great. Thanks.
kwh3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Wiring problem? Need a different point of view.BAD!!!

You have a ground problem there somewhere. The circuits you listed do not have a clear path to ground and are feeding across each other to complete the circuit. Run a jumper wire (alligator clips soldered to insulated wire) from the battery negative terminal to the frame and to the engine block. Clean all connection points shiny. Let us know the results of this test.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB74 View Post
You have a ground problem there somewhere. The circuits you listed do not have a clear path to ground and are feeding across each other to complete the circuit. Run a jumper wire (alligator clips soldered to insulated wire) from the battery negative terminal to the frame and to the engine block. Clean all connection points shiny. Let us know the results of this test.

That is a good test but you are bypassing the system fuse. If It fixex the problem check both wires off the fuse in the black box behind the battery.
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Good point. Possibly a corroded connection or partially blown fuse back there.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I did like you said and it seemed to work. Now I am wondering how do I fix it. It seems like when you buy something from someone else there is always alot of fixing before it runs right.lol. I just wanted to say thank you all for your help so far.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwh3rd View Post
I did like you said and it seemed to work. Now I am wondering how do I fix it. It seems like when you buy something from someone else there is always alot of fixing before it runs right.lol. I just wanted to say thank you all for your help so far.
The easiest is to put a new inline fuse w/a 10 amp fuse in the new line you put in.
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I didnt put a new line in I just ran a jumper to all three locations
Old 05-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

OK, our test has confirmed a poor or no connection between the negative side of the battery (10) and the body ground point (16) and/or the engine ground point (2). First stop is the ground side fuse, which bruegel states is near the battery. Open up the fuse holder and check the fuse to make sure it is not partially blown. Replace fuse if there is any doubt. Check the contacts in the holder for corrosion. Check the wires for breakage due to vibration and chafing. Check the connection at the starter/generator for similar problems. Correct any deficiencies. If nothing is found here,find the body ground. The diagram seems to indicate it is near the backup buzzer, but it probably is not. Maybe a G16 owner can chime in here and tell you where it is. If not, start following the harness until you find a single black wire leading out of the bundle and going to a screw or nut on the frame. Disassemble it, inspect closely and correct any problems. Same with the engine ground. These steps should cure your problem. There is a chance there is a chafed/broken wire in this circuit somewhere in the harness, but since all the original buggy components are working properly I doubt it. Let us know how you make out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiring%20diagram%20Yamaha%20G16A.pdf (317.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

O.K. I tracked down the body ground and its actually about 6 feet away from the buzzer. I spliced into the ground near the buzzer and went directly to the frame. I also checked all other grounds, engine ground,starter/generator ground everything and cleaned it all up and I still have the problem.So I am thinking that I am going to have to run permanent wiring to the places I did the test on from the earlier thread.( from battery neg. to the block,then to the chassis.) What do you think?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:44 AM   #10
kwh3rd
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Oh yeah I forgot to add that the 10 amp fuse was blown but the cart would run anyway. From what I understand it should not have been able to.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha