lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
ianders
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Crankshaft Size???

Once again, I am relaying a message to you guys from my mechanic, so take it easy on me. Just rebuilt the engine on my G16, drive it for a bout 30 minutes and the connecting rod is now broken. Mechanic thinks the governor has been bypasses (it was running about 28 MPH) and that is what broke the rod. He has "miced" the crankshaft rod and the measurement is 1.411". He wants to compare this to the stock crankshaft to see if we can reuse the one that we have. Does anyone know what the stock dimension should be? What about the rod? Do they make different size rods?
ianders is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Crankshaft Size???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianders View Post
Once again, I am relaying a message to you guys from my mechanic, so take it easy on me. Just rebuilt the engine on my G16, drive it for a bout 30 minutes and the connecting rod is now broken. Mechanic thinks the governor has been bypasses (it was running about 28 MPH) and that is what broke the rod. He has "miced" the crankshaft rod and the measurement is 1.411". He wants to compare this to the stock crankshaft to see if we can reuse the one that we have. Does anyone know what the stock dimension should be? What about the rod? Do they make different size rods?
Service manual calls for "crank pin outside diameter"-(1.4161 to 1.4165 in) with a crank pin round or taper limit at (0.0012 in), no rod specs other then "plastigauge", with rod cap bolts at 14 ft lbs should read (0.0006 to 0.004 in), with a limit @ (0.004). Rods are cheap, cranks are not. No they don't have differant rods. Hope this helped.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Service manual calls for "crank pin outside diameter"-(1.4161 to 1.4165 in) with a crank pin round or taper limit at (0.0012 in), no rod specs other then "plastigauge", with rod cap bolts at 14 ft lbs should read (0.0006 to 0.004 in), with a limit @ (0.004). Rods are cheap, cranks are not. No they don't have differant rods. Hope this helped.
That's a lot better than my "smaller than a breadbasket" reply......
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
ianders
Not Yet Wild

It looks like my shaft is about 0.005 smaller than it should be (that just sounds strange). Is 0.005 within tolerance? If not is there anything I can do to keep from replacing a shaft?
ianders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I have to recomend a new crank and rod.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
That's a lot better than my "smaller than a breadbasket" reply......
But....did you sleep at a "Holiday Inn" last night? Got those gaskets and accelerator cable yet? Members, or me , want to know.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Dang Dave, you got a hell of a memory for all my faults and to-do lists...are you related to my wife????

I'll update soon, I promise...
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:09 AM   #8
peter196358
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianders View Post
1.4161 to 1.4165 in . is stock crankshaft size .Crankshaft was under spec . must of had a knock from very first start up .
peter196358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha