lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
PRIVATESUPERMAN
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 96 fe290 press gas pedal engine stops and sluggish running not fast

I just bought this cart. It ran about 11 mph consistently then took it home. drove down the street and parked at an incline for about an hour. it wouldnt start after that and stay running. Ended up after 10 minutes or so on level ground to keep it running. then when pedal was pressed it would stop. ended up pulling on cable in the back and bypassing pedal to get it back home. since then I have rebuilt the fuel pump and it still has same problem which is:
press pedal is stalls. then I put a tywrap around limit switch by linkage and it won't stall with pedal just run very sluggish with no power.
I have no idea what to do next.
PRIVATESUPERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 96 fe290 press gas pedal engine stops and sluggish running not fast

i,m not sure i understand some of what your saying but they are supposed to stop running when you take your foot off pedal and than start when you press pedal......as far as running like crap have you changed the fuel filters? how about the air filter? is the air filter box closed and sealed real well?? and also the carbs on them can be iffy you need to take it off tear it down and really go over it...clean every hole in every jet things like that and blow thur everything with a air compressor.................this is a starting point........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
PRIVATESUPERMAN
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here is a better explanation of what is occuring during startup.
I start the engine with key switch. the engine starts and idles good. When I press the gas pedal down the engine immediatly goes off. So I put a tywrap around this limit switch that opens when the gas pedal is depressed. Now it will not stall, but runs bad.
I have printed out your suggestions and will try them tonight after work.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

well a 96 with keystart and idles?? its not stock like that is it? i know newer ones are like that but have never seen that on a 96 unless someone did it.....................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
BrewGuy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

PRIVATESUPERMAN, did you ever trace the specific cause of your stalling issue? I'm having the same exact issue with my Club Car 2003 Carryall Gas Plus, FE350. You described the problem perfectly. My hypothesis is that the issue lies somewhere within the Electrical Component Box (i.e., within the black box you found the Limit Switch you tie-wrapped). . .maybe the Relay and/or the Limit Switch itself needs to be replaced.

I was hoping you could save me some troubleshooting time by sharing your solution (if any).

Otherwise, if you’re still looking for the solution yourself, then I'll take the time to test each part within the Electrical Component Box of my cart for failures and let you know what I find from my end.
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
PRIVATESUPERMAN
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

well, I haven't troubleshot it any further due to priorities. Here is where I am now.

The limit switch is still tywrapped. If it is not cold out, I start it with a key and it turns on fine. I then press gas pedal and it runs fine.

If it happens to be cold out, it is very sluggish and hard to describe.
goes, then boggs down, goes, then boggs down. Until it heats up. Using the choke hardly helps.

Tags
carburator, gas club car
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car