lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Samuraijones
Not Yet Wild

Default Adding a tach to 07 precedent

Hey guys i am getting ready to add a glowshift tach to my 07 precedent cart. I was wondering if anyone has allready done this. Any pointers would be great thanks.

Mike
Samuraijones is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: Adding a tach to 07 precedent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuraijones View Post
Hey guys i am getting ready to add a glowshift tach to my 07 precedent cart. I was wondering if anyone has allready done this. Any pointers would be great thanks.

Mike
It's not going to work unless you can obtain a square wave signal Mike. The magneto ignition doesn't lend itself to that signal but you can trigger it by using a Hall Effect sensor fired by a magnet mounted on the flywheel or any other component running at engine speed. Myself and another member here have both been successful at getting the glowshift to fire via a Hall effect switch and rare earth magnet, mine was hit and miss but he has much better equipment and electronic knowledge than myself. Perhaps he might build you the circuit for an affordable cost. Equus make an inductive tach that takes an impulse from the plug wire but I don't believe glowshift offer that version.

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Samuraijones
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercarter View Post
It's not going to work unless you can obtain a square wave signal Mike. The magneto ignition doesn't lend itself to that signal but you can trigger it by using a Hall Effect sensor fired by a magnet mounted on the flywheel or any other component running at engine speed. Myself and another member here have both been successful at getting the glowshift to fire via a Hall effect switch and rare earth magnet, mine was hit and miss but he has much better equipment and electronic knowledge than myself. Perhaps he might build you the circuit for an affordable cost. Equus make an inductive tach that takes an impulse from the plug wire but I don't believe glowshift offer that version.

FC.
Carter
Who are you refering to when you say build me one. I am pretty good at electrical stuff and fabbing. I would be more htan willing to pay for a proven method.

Thanks again
Old 04-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Carter
Who are you refering to when you say build me one. I am pretty good at electrical stuff and fabbing. I would be more htan willing to pay for a proven method.

Thanks again
I'll see if I can get in touch with him Mike. Like I said, he has an oscilloscope and is much better versed in electronics than I am. I know he has / had some Hall sensors being shipped in and frankly, I have some interest from folks out here as well so I'm hoping to persuade him to build a few as a small side business. The magnets I already have and I sent some to him to experiment with. He was successful in getting a working system but I'm not sure how and where he mounted the system. I'm currently using my glowshift on a tuned clone motor so mounting would be different for you. As an aside, I used a small piece of aluminum bonded to the opposite side of my flywheel to keep things in balance. The magnets are very small and light (and extremely powerful) but I run my motor up to 5k rpm and I didn't want to risk any imbalance.

FC.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Samuraijones
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I'll see if I can get in touch with him Mike. Like I said, he has an oscilloscope and is much better versed in electronics than I am. I know he has / had some Hall sensors being shipped in and frankly, I have some interest from folks out here as well so I'm hoping to persuade him to build a few as a small side business. The magnets I already have and I sent some to him to experiment with. He was successful in getting a working system but I'm not sure how and where he mounted the system. I'm currently using my glowshift on a tuned clone motor so mounting would be different for you. As an aside, I used a small piece of aluminum bonded to the opposite side of my flywheel to keep things in balance. The magnets are very small and light (and extremely powerful) but I run my motor up to 5k rpm and I didn't want to risk any imbalance.

FC.
Thanks a bunch, I will not be adjusting anything just yet, I may in future. I will keep researching to see what other options I may have.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Thanks a bunch, I will not be adjusting anything just yet, I may in future. I will keep researching to see what other options I may have.

Spoke to the man and he is awaiting parts delivery Mike. Not opposed to the idea of a small batch of tach drivers but understandably wants to ensure the system works before offering it up. It's hard to find a decent relationship between the mounting points and operabillity in a functional system. On my clone it's easy,I have a port where the starter used to live right on the flywheel but adapting to a CC (or any other cart) is trickier. We'll get here though and that "Glowshift tach" is an amazing piece of kit for the price.

FC
Old 04-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Samuraijones
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Spoke to the man and he is awaiting parts delivery Mike. Not opposed to the idea of a small batch of tach drivers but understandably wants to ensure the system works before offering it up. It's hard to find a decent relationship between the mounting points and operabillity in a functional system. On my clone it's easy,I have a port where the starter used to live right on the flywheel but adapting to a CC (or any other cart) is trickier. We'll get here though and that "Glowshift tach" is an amazing piece of kit for the price.

FC
I really like the glowshift gauges. When I get home in a week I am installing the fuel gauge and voltage gauge. They even have a clock that is nice.

I will keep my fingers crossed and cant wait to see the tach driver.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Nate69
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

i have one the only trouble i have is the magnet dont stay on ? i used jb weld and it still dont stick ? i need help on how to get it to stick , went threw 3 mag . and now i need to find more :(......
Nate69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You should also glue an equal weight on opposite to balance things. Getting it to stick could be a difficult task though. You might want to drill and tap for a machine screw and use some Threadlocker on it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car