lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Default Electrical Accessories question

My question basically concerns the radio setup. More often than not the radio will be used while riding so there won't be any worries concerning draining the battery. However, there are a few instances where the radio will be running for an extended period of time while the cart is not running (while we are swimming at the gravel pit for instance) and I don't want to risk killing the battery and having a dead cart when it's time to leave.

To combat this I had the idea to run two batteries but had a few different ideas as to how to use/run the two batteries.

Idea 1: Simple minded thought was to run the radio off the main battery most of the time but when we got to the gravel pit be able to switch over to run the radio off the second battery. For this scenario the second battery would be totally independent of the main battery. I would run the starter and main ground for the cart off the top post terminals of the main battery and have the radio wired up on the side posts. Get to the gravel pit, quickly unscrew the radio terminals and put them onto the back up battery. Then if the radio kills that battery I can still get home with no issues and just toss the auxilary battery on the charger back at the cabin to get it charged back up and ready to go again.

Idea 2: The more complex but probably "right" way to do it would be to hook the radio (and some off road lights in the future) up to the secondary battery and then run the main and secondary battery together with an isolator between them. The idea would be that the carts generator would be able to charge both batteries if needed but you could also isolate the secondary battery and run the radio off of it without killing the main battery.

Obviously idea one is simple and easy but would involve having to charge the secondary battery manually after using it. The second idea is great since the battery charging will be taken care of but requires some more parts and wiring to get it right (assuming that the stock generator could even handle charging the two batteries).

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments?
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #2
05CCP
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Electrical Accessories question

What did you end up doing? I have been thinking of doing your second scenario but wasn’t sure the second battery would get charged...
05CCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've thought of a "home made" isolator arrangement: A relay that would connect the 2nd battery to (+) only when the cart is running. Maybe triggered along with the solenoid. Accessories could run off battery #2 without draining #1, both would charge when running. You do have to keep in mind that those starter generators are only capable of around 17 amps.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #4
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Man, back from the dead!!!

So, I’ve done both (kind of)...

On my cart I just ran a separate, smaller, battery for the radio. It was an independent battery so I did have to pull it out and charge it when needed. My radio would run for about 15-16 hours on a charge so it didn’t have to come out all that often. I made a battery tray for it with easy access and it was a simple process.

On my dads cart we did the solenoid set up so the main battery would charge the auxiliary battery while the cart is running but then they act as separate batteries when the cart is not running. That’s a little more work up front with the wiring, getting a solenoid, etc but then it’s pretty much hands off once it’s installed.

Either way works so it’s just a matter of what you want to do.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

I should add that the wiring diagram to run the solenoid set up with two batteries is on this site somewhere. I have it saved somewhere as well but would have to dig it up.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

A 9 year old thread necro got an answer from the OP!
I think that’s a record!

Kudos shoelessjoe for the update and info!

Just out of curiosity, Do you run around with no shoes all the time?
There’s a guy in my area that owns a brewery who’s called Barefoot Barry and he literally never wears shoes. Ever.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:04 PM   #7
05CCP
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Totally awesome for responding man! I knew it was a long shot but figured what the hell, why not... Think I am going to go with an isolator and run a smaller battery that I have that was used to start one of our motorcycles. As long as I can get a few hours at a time I should be good and I think it is small enough to run my amp, speakers, and a sub and still charge while riding around. Guess it is more of a trial and error thing. Thanks again for responding Joe!!!
05CCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #8
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
A 9 year old thread necro got an answer from the OP!
I think that’s a record!

Kudos shoelessjoe for the update and info!

Just out of curiosity, Do you run around with no shoes all the time?
There’s a guy in my area that owns a brewery who’s called Barefoot Barry and he literally never wears shoes. Ever.
I use this same name on a few forums, stole it from Shoeless Joe Jackson. Why? Well I was joining a snowmobile forum ages ago and was trying to think of some cool name. Happened to look up and saw a book about Shoeless Joe on the bookshelf at my parents house. Boom, I’m Joe now.

Real name is actually Aaron and I am a regular footwear kind of guy. Don’t catch me shoeless too often. Sorry to wreck the illusion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CCP View Post
Totally awesome for responding man! I knew it was a long shot but figured what the hell, why not... Think I am going to go with an isolator and run a smaller battery that I have that was used to start one of our motorcycles. As long as I can get a few hours at a time I should be good and I think it is small enough to run my amp, speakers, and a sub and still charge while riding around. Guess it is more of a trial and error thing. Thanks again for responding Joe!!!
To be fair, I got an alert in my email. Checked it out mainly out of curiosity but was happy to respond and hopefully help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car