lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Cracks in frame up front in a couple of different spots

Well, I have her running and looking good and now I notice that the person I got her from wasn't all honest with me. There are several cracks in the frame that seem to start from the top down and most look like they were somewhat repaired at some point. All of them seem to be from the firewall forward.. In other words, from the front dash forward..

So now what ?? 2000 club car DS fe290..
gatesjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
lilredxj99
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Cracks in frame up front in a couple of different spots

Depends on how deep you want to go. Either have them welded up, or make some fish plates.
lilredxj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredxj99 View Post
Depends on how deep you want to go. Either have them welded up, or make some fish plates.
Fish plates ??? Nevermind :-) I read the wiki ...
Old 06-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

are you talking cracks in the I-Beam behind where the front end bolts on ? if so then you and sandwich it in between two 3/8 x 3" plates and bolts on either side of the crack(s)
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
are you talking cracks in the I-Beam behind where the front end bolts on ? if so then you and sandwich it in between two 3/8 x 3" plates and bolts on either side of the crack(s)
Yes and I also notice right behind the very front plate on the frame where normally your brush guard mounts, etc.. as well. BTW, where is the best place to buy this size aluminum ?? I am thinking if I do it, I will try and make as long of runs as I can and then drill and bolt them together ??

I do have a local welder guy that does do aluminum, should I just look into tearing it all down and let him restore it as good as possible ?? How difficult is it to take it all down to the frame and wheels ???
Old 06-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
clubcarjeff
Gone Wild

Club Car

I had to do it for a Turf2 used as a range picker. More extensive craks than you're speaking of. Remove the bumper and cowl. Ask the welder if he needs a jack and stands. It cost me $200 to redo most of the welds. I weld with a mig, but don't have an aluminum set up. Worth every penny until it got wrecked a year later.....lol
clubcarjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesjunior
;where is the best place to buy this size aluminum ?? I am thinking if I do it, I will try and make as long of runs as I can and then drill and bolt them together ??
look here : http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...997&top_cat=60
Old 06-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

There should be some local Metal-Suppliers in your area,or get the pieces thru a welding/fabrication shop.I would have it welded and plated instead of just bolting fish-plates in.It will give a lot more strength,Bolted plates are more of a "Band-Aid" than a repair.If you do opt to bolt the plates in,use aluminum plate the same thickness or one thickness heavier,and Stainless Bolts.Steel bolts will corrode against the aluminum and damage the plates and the frame,as well as the bolts failing over time.I've been doing fab-work most of my life,I've seen a lot of failed "Repairs".Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
gatesjunior
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
There should be some local Metal-Suppliers in your area,or get the pieces thru a welding/fabrication shop.I would have it welded and plated instead of just bolting fish-plates in.It will give a lot more strength,Bolted plates are more of a "Band-Aid" than a repair.If you do opt to bolt the plates in,use aluminum plate the same thickness or one thickness heavier,and Stainless Bolts.Steel bolts will corrode against the aluminum and damage the plates and the frame,as well as the bolts failing over time.I've been doing fab-work most of my life,I've seen a lot of failed "Repairs".Hope this helps.
Thanks, I think that is what I will do then...
Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I used two 3/8 x 3" x 14" plates and sandwiched the I-Beam with SS bolts and its been fine for over two years. brought it a weld shop to have it look at, guy said it was fine the way it is and no need to weld it .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car