lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #21
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Default Re: High torque motor getting hot will bigger controller help?

Not really Scotty, My main question was the 400 to 500 amp controller. I had emailed Eric this am but thought I would ask everyone's opinions on here as well. Trying to get as many point of views and experiences as I can. I have not heard back from him yet but going by everyones responces, a 500 amp controller will not help with my heat issue.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2015, 07:19 PM   #22
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I only asked to see if the OP did discuss his needs with D&D before ordering. He may have bought the motor elsewhere. It wasn't clear.

Also wasn't detailed more fully (unless I missed it) is the operating conditions that make the motor hot. Yes, it was mentioned that the area where cart is used is hilly. I'd also like to know if the cart is running full throttle or at least 80% throttle most of the time or is he is crawling along at 5 mph are partial throttle. That will make a big difference in heat buildup.

Another question: How fast is the cart at full throttle flat road?

Last question: What model number D&D motor is installed?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #23
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

These are the motor spec's he sent when I ordered the motor.
ES-132-68
48 volt
8.0 hp
16.5 hp peak based upon 500 amp controller

The cart runs about 16-18 on smooth concrete now. The original motor was an Advanced motor and was probably better than this one and it was about 21 on pavement.(its the motor I overspun and melted some of the insulation inside.)
Old 02-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Is this the same D&D ES-132-68 motor that got dropped during shipping and the shaft was protruding, so you couldn't install it?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ification.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:12 PM   #25
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Yes sir. They fixed it and shipped it back to me.
The motor just isn't what I was expecting. Not near as much torque or speed as I had planned and also still have the heat issue.

Bottom line is I wish I would have just changed the whole system over to series. I have run a series ezgo for years under a lot harder conditions with similar set up except the type of cart it is in and it rarely even got warm much less hot. That was even with 4 adults slow rolling and slightly bigger tires.
Just frustrated as I have dropped a lot of money on motors, renting(and paying for a stolen) Curtis controller programmer and time. And still having issues without the performance I want.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #26
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Eric did email me back this am. Waiting on another reply. Said basically what you have. A bigger controller will add more torque but will not reduce heat. Waiting to hear back what the max case temp is then I will check it.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #27
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Eric did email me back this am. Waiting on another reply. Said basically what you have. A bigger controller will add more torque but will not reduce heat. Waiting to hear back what the max case temp is then I will check it.
Let us know what he says.

I'm interested to know if he says something higher than the 239°F I posted earlier in this thread.

The 239°F max case temperature is the generic rule of thumb for motors with Class-H insulation. If D&D motors have a better than average heat transfer rate from the windings to the case surface, the max temp would be higher.

I don't have any pictures showing my temperature monitoring setup on my D&D motor, but it is roughly the same as what I used on my stock PDS motor shown in the attached photos. Basically a thermocouple setting in a dollop of thermal grease covered with some foam rubber and Ty-wrapped in-place.

The hottest I've gotten my D&D so far is ~225°F, but it usually doesn't get much above 200°. I mentioned it to Vic while talking to him about max RPM and some other stuff, and he said something like, "That isn't hot.", but I had other things on my mind at the time and didn't pursue to find out what he thought Too Hot is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS motor - thermocouple.jpg (190.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DMM - thermocouple.jpg (197.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #28
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Too hot is when smoke starts coming from the motor.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #29
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I have a hunting cart that I have been battling heat problems on the motor. It is a sepex system and I have upgraded to a High torque D&D motor. My controller is a curtis 1244 400 amp controller, 48 vlt and 1/0 cables. I am running 23" tires and the terrain is hilly.
Quote:
These are the motor spec's he sent when I ordered the motor.
ES-132-68
48 volt
8.0 hp
16.5 hp peak based upon 500 amp controller
Quote:
The motor just isn't what I was expecting. Not near as much torque or speed as I had planned and also still have the heat issue.

So you are running a motor built for a 500A controller with a 400A controller? Did D&D concur with this path?

sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #30
KactusKiller
Getting Wild

Yes he knows, I think he was giving me the numbers originally based on a curtis 1268 which is 500A and before I actually ordered it confirmed that I have a 1244 which is 400a. I just wanted the best possible motor for a 48vlt sepex system. I am really contemplating getting an Alltrax 500 if it will make a noticable improvement in performance. I am just really not sure if I want to sink more money in this sepex system.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO