lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #21
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: how good can electric get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I think yurtle and nuke have explained it pretty well and parallels my experience with a series cart.
I would add that BATTERIES are extremely important. They are the heart of an electric cart. The high performance controllers, solenoids, wires and such are the support systems for larger tires and high performance motors. But if the batteries are not capable of releasing the amps necessary then you will be disappointed and will have wasted your money.

As for gas carts. Keep in mind that ALL golf carts are designed to haul golfers around a golf course for a round or maybe 2 rounds of golf. Golf carts from the factory whether electric or gas have almost identical performance. To get "hot, nasty, badass speed and torque" will require expensive modifications in either case.
that's kind of hard to believe when ive seen gas carts with kaws or robins engines climb hills mine would laugh at
rammunition361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2015, 02:35 AM   #22
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Go to ezgo.com or clubcar.com and read the specs for electric and gas carts. Or go to a dealer and test drive them both. Find out for yourself.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #23
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

RE: gas vs. electric carts:

I know of many people who claim "electric carts aren't worth crap, gimme a gasser every time". Here's my opinion, based on observing these folks:

They have no understanding of electricity nor batteries. One friend had a nice CC that had no low speed, would jump out, running about 1/2 speed right off the bat. It was the kind that used a resistor bank and 5 solenoids; everyone here with experience has already figured out that probably a couple of solenoids were bad.

Another friend bought an EZ-Go electric that had "new" batteries. Well, if I got the story right, it had 5 new batteries, and one that was "pretty good". Then, he let his grandkids ram it around. He sold it at auction and is looking for a gas cart.

At the antique tractor shows that I attend, it's common to see folks carrying their chargers with them, and sometimes pushing/towing them to the nearest outlet to grab a charge. One of these people told me that "everyone here recommends using hydrogen peroxide to fill their batteries". (where that bit of wisdom came from, I don't know)

I liken it to the person who buys a Diesel pickup truck and never reads the manual. Half the time, he fills the tank with gasoline, and never waits for the glow plugs to heat, just attempts to start it right off. Of course, he has trouble, then complains to everyone that "Diesel trucks aren't worth crap!" (I don't actually know such a person, but don't doubt for a minute that they exist)

If I can catch the novices before they get too discouraged, I print out several sheets of battery advice that is available on this site and ScottyB's web page and give them to the person. Keeping your batteries in good condition is no harder than checking the oil and fuel levels in your gas cart, but you MUST do the proper steps:

Keep the connections clean and tight, check the water levels, don't over-discharge, and keep them fully charged. If you're the type who just wants to drive 'er until she quits, bum a ride to get a can of gas, then go again, then don't frustrate yourself and give electric carts a bad name; get a gasser.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #24
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post

I know of many people who claim "electric carts aren't worth crap, gimme a gasser every time". Here's my opinion, based on observing these folks:

They have no understanding of electricity nor batteries. One friend had a nice CC that had no low speed, would jump out, running about 1/2 speed right off the bat. It was the kind that used a resistor bank and 5 solenoids; everyone here with experience has already figured out that probably a couple of solenoids were bad.

Another friend bought an EZ-Go electric that had "new" batteries. Well, if I got the story right, it had 5 new batteries, and one that was "pretty good". Then, he let his grandkids ram it around. He sold it at auction and is looking for a gas cart.

At the antique tractor shows that I attend, it's common to see folks carrying their chargers with them, and sometimes pushing/towing them to the nearest outlet to grab a charge. One of these people told me that "everyone here recommends using hydrogen peroxide to fill their batteries". (where that bit of wisdom came from, I don't know)

I liken it to the person who buys a Diesel pickup truck and never reads the manual. Half the time, he fills the tank with gasoline, and never waits for the glow plugs to heat, just attempts to start it right off. Of course, he has trouble, then complains to everyone that "Diesel trucks aren't worth crap!" (I don't actually know such a person, but don't doubt for a minute that they exist)

If I can catch the novices before they get too discouraged, I print out several sheets of battery advice that is available on this site and ScottyB's web page and give them to the person. Keeping your batteries in good condition is no harder than checking the oil and fuel levels in your gas cart, but you MUST do the proper steps:

Keep the connections clean and tight, check the water levels, don't over-discharge, and keep them fully charged. If you're the type who just wants to drive 'er until she quits, bum a ride to get a can of gas, then go again, then don't frustrate yourself and give electric carts a bad name; get a gasser.
im aware of all of this and have read scottyb's page. I discharge to 70% soc at the lowest batteries are all testing good all connections are tight, not sure on solenoids
Old 02-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #25
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Cart repairman here.
My favorite cart to deal with is Electric RXV.

They are ROCK SOLID RELIABLE.

Yes they have a few parts that wear.

Almost never have motor/drivetrain or electronics issues.

Bearings wear and bushings need occasional replacement. steering boxes go out after years hard use. Parking/emergency brake can fail(usually from abuse).

Every 4 to 6 years batteries and probably a few cables need replacing.

With good batteries (we use CROWN) and proper battery maintenance, they are basically trouble free carts.

I have never understood why checking the oil , changing oil,refilling gas tank, changing belts and clutches and changing air and oil filters is considered "easy maintenance"
while adding water,spraying terminals with protectant and plugging cart in is
considered "difficult".

Every type of cart has its strengths and weaknesses.

Understanding the strengths and getting the right drive system for
the application is crucial.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #26
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:

I saw that one time for real. Carpenter I had hired for deck repairs. He had just bought an old Ford pickup but it was a diesel. He complained that it was hard to start. One day I was outside speaking to him as he was getting ready to leave. He put the key in the ignition and tried to start it immediately. Of course it didn't start and made bad noises. I have never owned a diesel but I said I think you have to wait for the plugs to heat up and there might even be an indication on the dash. Sure enough, when he tried it again he waited and a light on the dash went out after a few seconds and the thing started just like brand new. If there is one like him, there are more!
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #27
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I saw that one time for real. Carpenter I had hired for deck repairs. He had just bought an old Ford pickup but it was a diesel. He complained that it was hard to start. One day I was outside speaking to him as he was getting ready to leave. He put the key in the ignition and tried to start it immediately. Of course it didn't start and made bad noises. I have never owned a diesel but I said I think you have to wait for the plugs to heat up and there might even be an indication on the dash. Sure enough, when he tried it again he waited and a light on the dash went out after a few seconds and the thing started just like brand new. If there is one like him, there are more!
buddy of mine put 14gal of gas in an old 6.2 chevy, had to drain it in the lot. manager was pissed
Old 02-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #28
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

HTR said:
Quote:
I have never understood why checking the oil , changing oil,refilling gas tank, changing belts and clutches and changing air and oil filters is considered "easy maintenance"
while adding water,spraying terminals with protectant and plugging cart in is
considered "difficult".

Every type of cart has its strengths and weaknesses.

Understanding the strengths and getting the right drive system for
the application is crucial.
I'm with you, Brother! A lot of the problem is that very few people actually understand electricity because you can't see it. Then, they simply don't want to make the effort to learn about the idiosyncrasies of an electric cart. Another thing is the admittedly large expense of battery replacement. I'd imagine that an engine rebuild would be similar in cost, but most people don't see that coming, unlike batteries that have a pretty predictable end of life.

You're also correct about having the correct cart for the application: if the cart is going to be driven all day, with only infrequent and short stops, a gasser will be required. OTOH, running around a tractor show, with frequent stops and maybe an opportunity to charge during lunch time will suit an electric just fine.

My wife & I work at the Buckley, MI Old Engine show grounds during the first 3 weeks of August, and there's days that we about run the wheels off the cart, or so it seems. Yet, the cart sits more than it's actually on the move, and we've never run out of juice.

I love my RXV, I'm glad you guys talked me into it. Well, along with my dealer, who agreed with you. :-)

There's "something about electric", IMO. I have a Nissan Leaf for my daily driver, and I will almost go to extremes to avoid using my ICE car. Today, it was 18 degrees out, and I had to make a trip that was over 45 miles total. Fortunately, the roads were slippery, keeping the speed down to 45 or thereabouts, so it was pretty easy. Could have even left the heat 'on' for the entire trip, instead of only half of it. From what I see on the Nissan forum, most others think the same.

Mind you, my ICE (internal combustion engine) car isn't exactly a POS, it's a 2014 VW Passat.

We had only a couple of inches of snow today, but I took the ElecTrack out to scrape the drive anyway.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #29
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
HTR said:

I'm with you, Brother! A lot of the problem is that very few people actually understand electricity because you can't see it. Then, they simply don't want to make the effort to learn about the idiosyncrasies of an electric cart. Another thing is the admittedly large expense of battery replacement. I'd imagine that an engine rebuild would be similar in cost, but most people don't see that coming, unlike batteries that have a pretty predictable end of life.

You're also correct about having the correct cart for the application: if the cart is going to be driven all day, with only infrequent and short stops, a gasser will be required. OTOH, running around a tractor show, with frequent stops and maybe an opportunity to charge during lunch time will suit an electric just fine.

My wife & I work at the Buckley, MI Old Engine show grounds during the first 3 weeks of August, and there's days that we about run the wheels off the cart, or so it seems. Yet, the cart sits more than it's actually on the move, and we've never run out of juice.

I love my RXV, I'm glad you guys talked me into it. Well, along with my dealer, who agreed with you. :-)

There's "something about electric", IMO. I have a Nissan Leaf for my daily driver, and I will almost go to extremes to avoid using my ICE car. Today, it was 18 degrees out, and I had to make a trip that was over 45 miles total. Fortunately, the roads were slippery, keeping the speed down to 45 or thereabouts, so it was pretty easy. Could have even left the heat 'on' for the entire trip, instead of only half of it. From what I see on the Nissan forum, most others think the same.

Mind you, my ICE (internal combustion engine) car isn't exactly a POS, it's a 2014 VW Passat.

We had only a couple of inches of snow today, but I took the ElecTrack out to scrape the drive anyway.
I get the feeling your talking about around me here
Old 02-22-2015, 01:33 AM   #30
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

To get back to the original topic, Its usually easy to get a electric cart to do anything you want (as long as that doesnt include refueling only once a week). They are typically just as capable, if not more, of dragging a load or climbing a hill. But, just like considering converting a jeep into a "rock crawler", you need to weigh the trade-offs. If money were no issue, i can build a very capable electric off-roader with great range too. Got to weigh the cost/benefit/needs ratio. With $ as no issue, someone could build a electric off-roader that had crazy range, or a "street demon" that beats everyone in the state, its very important to weigh what you need (range or infrequent refueling) vs. what you wish for (acceleration, towing, ect), vs what you are willing to spend. As the "higher end" automotive market has shown, plenty is possible in the "electric vs gas" showdown. You also need to consider that if you are on the "razor edge" like a race car, maintainence and upkeep will be higher, no matter gas or electric. The infrequent refueling has kept me using my mostly stock gas cart (my electric could meet my needs for a second day, if not charged, "who unplugged my cord", but it was not happy). Keep in mind i have never owned a "new" set of batteries for my own carts, but i have built plenty of high performance stuff for others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0719121140.jpg (163.2 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO