lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
bmph8er
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Diy clutch puller?

So im wantn to pull and clean my clutch's and don't feel like buying the puller. Somewhere i found pics and measurements of how to make my own. But i lost the page anyone have a link? It's a 2012 club car ds gasser
bmph8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Cfdrepair
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Diy clutch puller?

I tried the dyi method, broke it off in the hole and had to easy out it to remove the broken part. I would spend the money on the tool. Inexpensive in the long run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Cfdrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
bmph8er
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have a full metal shop at my disposal i can make it out of tool steel just rather make my own. Plus it's kinda fun
bmph8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Cfdrepair
Not Yet Wild

Then you can fabricate it. It's just a glorified bolt with left-hand threads. I was just sharing my negative experience with my diy puller attempt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Cfdrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
demo61x
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmph8er View Post
I have a full metal shop at my disposal i can make it out of tool steel just rather make my own. Plus it's kinda fun
I use a 7/16 fine thread hardened bolt with about inch & a half of thread, (normal thread) with a 6in 5/16 diameter hardened shaft, works great. you will need to make depth adjustments to the shaft, the shaft I use is similar to a push rod from a engine but it is solid hardened steel slightly rounded on the end and 6 inches long.
demo61x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Clutch threads are right hand.
As above, use a 7/16" fine thread grade 8 bolt about 1-1/2" long.
Cut the head off of a 3/8"x6" grade 8 bolt and grind the threads down at the other end so you have about 1-1/2" of shank that's narrower than the rest. Use grade 8 hardware or you will strip the threads off or snap the head off the bolt in the clutch.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
jdspeed99z
Not Yet Wild

I saw a trick on the internet, and I didn't think it would work but it did. I used water. I had the engine out and turned it up on it's side, filled the bolt hole with water then ran the 7/16" fine thread bolt in. It didn't work, I was forgetting something. I couldn't remember, then it hit me; Teflon tape. I put some Teflon tape on the bolt, ran it in with an impact and it popped the clutch off. Amazing, I never thought it would work.
jdspeed99z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #8
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

I've heard of using No. 2 grease with the same results
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
I've heard of using No. 2 grease with the same results
Grease or water works same principle you "can't compress a liquid" that being said water is better easier to clean up and when you reinstall clutch you want it dry/no grease or lube if it has left over grease the clutch slides easier on the tapered shaft and could potentially split the clutch
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Grease or water works same principle you "can't compress a liquid" that being said water is better easier to clean up and when you reinstall clutch you want it dry/no grease or lube if it has left over grease the clutch slides easier on the tapered shaft and could potentially split the clutch
Water works best if it's out of the cart, but if it's still in the cart it would difficult to keep water in it. Just saying
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car