lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

Default grinding noise and brakes lockin up on 04 Precedent

i have a 2004 CC Precedent that all of a sudden the brakes stared locking up without much pedal pressure. nothing has been changed. there is a 6" lift that's has been installed for 5+ years. i did tighten up the rear leaf u-bolts and no noticeable change. there seems to be plenty of slack in the brake cables. i pulled the drums to inspect if there was any damage. All i saw was some dust buildup so i cleaned them out with some brake cleaner and put them back. no change.

also, there is some sort of grinding kind of noise that seems to be coming from the rear axle/motor. this also started at the same time. i dont know how to describe it but wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

not sure if these two are related or coincidental but up until now i have had 0 zero problems with this cart and it has served us well.
wuntunearlybko is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: grinding noise and brakes lockin up on 04 Precedent

While the drums were off did you have someone actuate the pedal to observe the cables and shoe travel?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

no not yet but i will do so this evening and see. thanks
Old 06-13-2020, 07:01 PM   #4
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

EDIT - Added the pics

finally had a chance to work on this thing. i cant for the lift of me see any issues with the brakes. had my wife pump them while looking on both sides and all seems well. i also spun the axle shafts with no issues or grinding sound.

so not being convinced i decided to pull the motor since it is so easy and accessible being lifted. i got the motor out and took the motor apart and i think the brushes look really worn. two of them look worse off than the other two. would these worn out brushes cause rough/grinding from the motor? also the bearing in the motor itself feels pretty rough. i will post up some pics later tonight

the first pic shows a bunch of dust that dumped out on to my shop floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200613_195535.jpg (288.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200613_195516.jpg (233.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200613_195501.jpg (154.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200613_195511.jpg (143.0 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car