lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
Paracaidista
Not Yet Wild

Default Is there conventional wisdom about using torque motors with high speed gears?

I have a 1999 DS. I don’t want to lift it, and I don’t want to go with taller tires. I would like equal improvement in both torque and top speed. Is there any reason why a high torque motor could not be combined with high speed gears, or a high speed motor could not be combined with high torque gears to maintain a similar curve to stock, only with more of each? Which way would be best, if it can be done? I am in planning stages at this point, but I am looking at setting a direction to plan for. I assume high speed gears with stock wheel height would not be as stressful as they are with tall tires. Anything else I am missing?
Paracaidista is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Is there conventional wisdom about using torque motors with high speed gears?

I would think a torque motor with high speed gears should give you a good mix of the two, but a torque motor will run out of top end speed around 20-22 mph.
If you're on flat terrain, a high speed motor will give you a good increase in take-off torque, and get you into the upper 20's.
An AC drive conversion will get you over 30 on stock tires and gearing. Mix high speed gears in and you can probably hit 40 if you're really in the need for a thrill. I've driven a 4 seat cart at 31mph on stock tires with a Navitas AC kit. It was far more speed than I was comfortable with for a golf cart.

The majority of higher power motors out there offer a very noticeable increase in both speed and torque over a stock motor.
Either way you go, GOOD batteries are step 1. How old are yours and what brand are they?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
Paracaidista
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Is there conventional wisdom about using torque motors with high speed gears?

Batteries are less than a month old, Harris brand.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
Paracaidista
Not Yet Wild

I guess I should elaborate some, I would really like to be able to run at about 25mph on flats and to have the torque to maintain most of that up modest grades. I have no interest in going as fast as possible, but I would like not losing a ton of speed on hills or having passenger(s) or both.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:34 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

http://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/

Talk to David at Revolution, or ScottyB at Cartsunlimited. They both have tons of experience installing upgraded motors. They will listen to what you want to do and can make the suggestion for the best motor/ controller combo to get what you want.

There are plenty of options that will do 25 and still maintain good speed on a hill. Doesn't matter what you get, it's always going to slow a little bit, but almost any upgraded motor will have far more power on a hill than the stock motor.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
Paracaidista
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, will do. I am contemplating many things at once and do not want to create conflicts where I will have to redo something in the future. So hopefully, I can come up with a road map.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:25 PM   #7
Paracaidista
Not Yet Wild

I just might have found a 36v series motor, I understand that this motor in a 48v cart is a great all around performer. We’ll see.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car