lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default changing rear diff oil?

How do you go about changing the rear diff oil on a 1992 marathon. And what oil do you need to use for it?
zlangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
scottn73
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: changing rear diff oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlangdon View Post
How do you go about changing the rear diff oil on a 1992 marathon. And what oil do you need to use for it?
You need to pull the rear end cover. There are 6 or 8 bolts, take those out and gently use a screwdriver or putty knife and pop the cover off. Go to auto parts store and get a tube of new rv sealant or similar and put it back together. Let it sit over night to make sure it dries and put fresh oil in it. You can get rear end oil or just use a good quality 30wt oil. most carts use about 1.5 to 2 qts. some people say to fill it till it comes out fill hole. Do as you wish.
scottn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

He is right but the manual says 80 - 90 weight. SAE 30 is usually used in electric carts. There is a nice write up in the EZGO tech section, have a look.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #4
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

So there is no drain plug? Since this seems to be a pretty big job is it even recommended that I should change it?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

There is no drain plug but it is real easy, just follow the instructions in the guide I sent you to. Yes you should do it, you have no idea what oil is in there, how old it is or what level it is at. Your cart will thank you afterwards.
Just in case you do not find the article here it is
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...a-rearend.html
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Brother Texan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is interesting. My 92 Marathon with a Robin 295 4 stroke has a two piece diff with a drain plug and a yellow fill plug. The pics I have seen of the 2 stroke diffs seem to have the diff cover like you all are describing. Not sure of the wieght but it smelt, felt, and tastes like 90W.
Brother Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
zlangdon
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Mine also has this yellow cap towrds the top drivers side of the diff. So what your telling me is there is a drain plug and fill plug on this differential? I have a 92 marathon 4 cycle. If that's the case just drain and fill with 80-90?
Old 05-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Brother Texan
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

10-4, there should be a small drain plug on the bottom, I think it is on the same side. Looks like it is a bolt, but you can tell it does not go all the way through the case like the other bolts. Double check the oil specs with a manual, or call a dealer and ask, before you use the wrong stuff.
Brother Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlangdon View Post
Mine also has this yellow cap towrds the top drivers side of the diff. So what your telling me is there is a drain plug and fill plug on this differential? I have a 92 marathon 4 cycle. If that's the case just drain and fill with 80-90?
Is this what yours looks like??? if so look at #12--#22---#23

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:49 AM   #10
rusty shackel
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: changing rear diff oil?

some marathons have NOdrain plugS on them , you must unbolt the rear cover and let the grease drain that way.
scott73 said
"You need to pull the rear end cover. There are 6 or 8 bolts, take those out and gently use a screwdriver or putty knife and pop the cover off. Go to auto parts store and get a tube of new rv sealant or similar and put it back together. Let it sit over night to make sure it dries and put fresh oil in it. You can get rear end oil or just use a good quality 30wt oil. most carts use about 1.5 to 2 qts. some people say to fill it till it comes out fill hole. Do as you wish"

do what he said and you will be fine .

rusty s
rusty shackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO