lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
finigin711
Not Yet Wild

Default 1982 ezgo gas

i have a 1982 ezgo gas cart and presently cant get it started. i replaced piston because of lack of compression. after repair it ran fine. the muffler however rotted out and i replaced that also. after muffler replacement it ran,but not right.sputtered to stop and wouldnt start. checked float in carb and replaced fuel pump. gas from tank is not getting to the carb . im baffled.not being a mechanic ,could use some experienced help. would really appreciate it . thanks tim j(finigin)
finigin711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1982 ezgo gas

first (and this is an easy one) check that the pickup tube inside the tank is seated and sealed - they tend to dry out and either fall into the tank or leak around the top which impedes or totally stops fuel flow.

Also, just for fun, check the fuel pump by pulling the line off the carb and turning it over (once you are certain fuel can get to the pump from the tank) - it should spit a really nice stream of fuel all over the place (be careful) ... If you aren't pumping gas, you may have bad crank seals, which will stop your pump from pumping and also (to an extent) fits your symptoms (a new muffler, etc can cause older seals to blow out). To check it - jack up the cart and turn it over (the jacking is so if it fires, it won't take off on you) and have a friend spray some wd40 or carb cleaner at both ends of the crank (in the rear of the engine and the front) - if it pops or acts like it wants to start, the seals are likely bad (this also works with a running cart, but in that case the rpm's will increase when you are spraying it).

Try this stuff out (preferably with a beer or two) and let us know how it goes
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
scottn73
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by finigin711 View Post
i have a 1982 ezgo gas cart and presently cant get it started. i replaced piston because of lack of compression. after repair it ran fine. the muffler however rotted out and i replaced that also. after muffler replacement it ran,but not right.sputtered to stop and wouldnt start. checked float in carb and replaced fuel pump. gas from tank is not getting to the carb . im baffled.not being a mechanic ,could use some experienced help. would really appreciate it . thanks tim j(finigin)
Check to see nothing got clogged in your pickup tube in tank.You can unhook it from pump and shoot a little bit of air into it. If that doesnot fix it then check the crank seals. If they are bad or even one is bad you wont get enough compresion to pull the fuel.
scottn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

was it a new or used mufflar? if used than get a 1 inch gap between it and motor see if carts runs right if so muffler is clogged up take it off and barbaque it................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
finigin711
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
was it a new or used mufflar? if used than get a 1 inch gap between it and motor see if carts runs right if so muffler is clogged up take it off and barbaque it................................
it is new!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

did you prime the pump after installing the new one? this has to be done to fill the filter and line to the pump. wrap a rag around the filler opening and blow a bit of air into the tank, then check the pump output.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
finigin711
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: 1982 ezgo gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
first (and this is an easy one) check that the pickup tube inside the tank is seated and sealed - they tend to dry out and either fall into the tank or leak around the top which impedes or totally stops fuel flow.

Also, just for fun, check the fuel pump by pulling the line off the carb and turning it over (once you are certain fuel can get to the pump from the tank) - it should spit a really nice stream of fuel all over the place (be careful) ... If you aren't pumping gas, you may have bad crank seals, which will stop your pump from pumping and also (to an extent) fits your symptoms (a new muffler, etc can cause older seals to blow out). To check it - jack up the cart and turn it over (the jacking is so if it fires, it won't take off on you) and have a friend spray some wd40 or carb cleaner at both ends of the crank (in the rear of the engine and the front) - if it pops or acts like it wants to start, the seals are likely bad (this also works with a running cart, but in that case the rpm's will increase when you are spraying it).

Try this stuff out (preferably with a beer or two) and let us know how it goes
u hit it on the head------sprayed crank seals---it fired off.---found bolts loose . tightened bolts and started right up and runs great. i've been messing with this thing for a month off and on. never would have thoght off this(not a mechanic). you made my day. thanks a ton. the only problem was after it started running i had a six pack!!!!!!!!!! i owe u a case. thanks again. tim j (finigin711)
Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
finigin711
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn73 View Post
Check to see nothing got clogged in your pickup tube in tank.You can unhook it from pump and shoot a little bit of air into it. If that doesnot fix it then check the crank seals. If they are bad or even one is bad you wont get enough compresion to pull the fuel.
wow!!!!!!!!!ur good. hit it on the head . bolts at crank seals were loose. tightened them up and runs like a champ. thanks a ton . u made my day. thanks again tim j(finigin711)
Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
finigin711
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
bolts at crank seals were loose. tighten and runs like a champ. thks for the help. tim j (finigin711)
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
finigin711
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoc1 View Post
did you prime the pump after installing the new one? this has to be done to fill the filter and line to the pump. wrap a rag around the filler opening and blow a bit of air into the tank, then check the pump output.
LOOSE CRANK SEAL BOLTS---TIGHTENED AND RUNS GREAT NOW. THKS FOR THE HELP. TIM J (FINIGIN711)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO