lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
firecart1
Getting Wild

Default Rattling or Buzzing 89 EZGO Marathon

Hey gang!! 1st post and it's a doozey to me... At 1/2 to 3/4 throttle I have a terrible buzzing noise coming from under the seat of the cart (motor area). I have checked and "foam insulated" all panels, I have re-welded the motor floor pan, I even checked the motor "Isolators" (mounts) and cannot come up with anything. It just sounds like a simple easy to find noise.....but it's getting the best of me!! I hope someone else has some good ideas for me. ALL HELP IS WELCOME!!
firecart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
firecart1
Getting Wild

Default Re: Rattling or Buzzing 89 EZGO Marathon

Everything that should be tight is tight!! Also, has anyone ever heard of using hockey pucks for motor mounts?!?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Hax
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecart1 View Post
has anyone ever heard of using hockey pucks for motor mounts?!?
I have a buddy who used hockey pucks on his truck for a body lift and they were a bit too hard and didn't have much "give" to them. It made for a noticeably rougher ride and added some new fun noises. I'd be worried about them being too hard and transferring all the vibrations into the frame, but that is just my two cents!
Hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I had to replace my mounts last year, and after a little research found them for under $20 a set - prob a much better investment than trying to run hockey pucks, LOL

As to the buzz, I had a cracked mount on my muffler back when I got my cart that caused a bit of a racket at higher RPM's (as well as on bumpy terrain), welded it up and it's been fine since - another issue I had (see above) was when my motor mounts weren't so good, at high RPM's the engine would shift a bit and the driven clutch cover would rub lightly against the engine, which would be a buzz or rattle depending on the speed, etc - check for wear on the outer edges of the plastic DC cover, you never know (and it's almost impossible to diagnose unless you run it without the seat and watch everything - which is how I found it)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

It's a broken muffler baffle !!
Actually I don't really know that but I have had half a pot of coffee. If all else fails you could take the muffler off and give it a shake.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

maybe a hornets nest in the muffler and half throttler po's em.
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
firecart1
Getting Wild

I pulled the engine and the engine floorplate, got some degreaser and a powerwasher and went to town cleaning and checking for a broken weld. Sure enough!! I had several. I suppose 1 caused another, caused another, etc. It was broken down by the motor pan where the engine bolts up and also under the muffler mounts. I also had to run some new welds around the bottom of the motor pan as they were starting to come apart as well.
Motor mounts were just fine.

I suppose it just needed its annual 22 year bath whether it wanted it or not. I wouldn't ever have seen these cracks if I couldn't have got everything shined up and cleaned.

Lesson learned....keep it clean!!

I appreciate all the help and I'm anxious to go for the maiden voyage...again!!

Thanks again everyone!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO