lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Pschoolar
Not Yet Wild

Default 89 2 stroke ignition

Need help please! I've been working for a long time on my grand mother's old cart. I've finally got it running, but everytime in gets good and warm it want start. Ex. I'll drive to the course(1/4 mile tops) tee off get to my next shot hit it get back in the cart and it want crank! It will turn over just want start! I was told it sounds like my coil is going bad. The motor has new seals in it and the compression is over 120. What does it sound like to you? I've read on here where some of you use an ignition coil off an early model GMC, can somebody give me a watered down way to do this. Thanks in advance!
Pschoolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 2 stroke ignition

welcome to BGW! use the search function and look up hei conversion. this may help.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

welcome, when it won,t start you need to do 2 things......check to see if its getting spark and check see if its getting fuel................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Pschoolar
Not Yet Wild

I'll look at the conversion. What is the advantage of going that route rather than just putting a new stock coil back on.

It is getting both fuel and fire because I can go back to the cart once it cools down and it will fire right back up.

Thanks for the welcome and the help thus far.

Also the rear end has a rattle/vibration in it? I've got some gear oil to put in it, could there be anything else I can do.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The real advantage is to avoid the outrageous cost of replacing the EZGO ignitor. Now of course your problem could be the ignitor or it could be the coil (or something else).

The easiest course of action would be to

1. Remake all the ground paths by pulling them apart and cleaning the frame and the cable lugs. Also ensure that the strap between the frame and the engine is present and clean.
2. Gently remove the connectors from the coil and make sure they are corrosion free. Also gently tug on the wires, it is quite common that the wire snaps on the crimp and the rubber sheath holds it together causing all sorts of intermittent issues.
3. Test the coil by substitution. There are plenty of high output coils on ebay, just get one with two terminals and see what happens.
4. If you still have issues then it looks like the HEI mod is the way to go. The money on the coil will not be wasted as you would have needed a high output coil anyway.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Pschoolar
Not Yet Wild

I found a new coil for $85.00 is this a good deal? Is the ignitor different than the coil? I'm pretty much stupid when it comes to motors, I've watched as my friend has worked on the cart.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Phillip
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think you might want change it over to the HEI set up.
Better fire and a lot more reliable. The best part, you can buy all the new components for less than the price of the coil your looking at.

Believe me, I went through the same thing with my old cart. Spent about $250.00 on Igniter, coil, fuel pump and a carb. kit. Then 1 month later when it started doing the same thing, I change it over to HEI and it ran great, and still does with the new owner.
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

do the search. hei module and coil should add up to about $ 40 total
Old 06-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Pschoolar
Not Yet Wild

ok I'm convienced the HEI is the way to go! Now I need for somebody to help this mechanically ignorant person!!!!!!!! I've done the search for the HEI but I can't figure out what I'm looking at! Can somebody break it down what I need, what site I need to go to, and it would be great if I could get the actual serial/order number. I've got a 89 2 stroke EZGO. I know it is nobodies job to do this but I'm getting frustated trying to find what I need. Thanks for any help any of you can give me!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

let's see if this helps. the module itself has to be well grounded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gmheiretrolw8fl4.jpg (79.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1562.jpg (109.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1561.jpg (88.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg !B7VOH7QBmk~$(KGrHqZ,!iIEzNTltMbQBMz2MWp(5!~~_12.jpg (31.9 KB, 43 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO