lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
jmaroon
Not Yet Wild

Default new guy looking at a couple ezgo carts

hi folks. i'm looking at a few different ezgo's in the local area (lafayette, La) and i had a few questions.

the guy i'm dealing with has several lifted carts with 08-09 batteries that are "pds" and and a few that are not.. i see the pds's have the tow switch on the controller, i see this is an upgrade for speed, ( i could care less about going 25 on a golf cart.. ) does it make anything more reliable/user friendly? anybody have any really descriptive links on the diff btwn pds and non pds?

reliability wise, should i get one with the forward reverse switch on the dash or under the seat? does it matter?

i'll be using this cart for campground, yard stuff, and hunting (no major hills on the lease)

seems like a good forum. .i could get used to it here!!!!
jmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Default Re: new guy looking at a couple ezgo carts

Welcome to the forum. I'm over in Baton Rouge (Gonzales actually). I have a 2008 EZGO TXT, specs in the sig. From what I was told and the research I did, you can usew the PDS for hunting, but you need to watch the heat build up on the sepex motor. My cousin has a PDS he uses for hunting out in San Antonio and he has no problems so ymmv.

I couldn't be happier with mine - but it's addictive! Changing this, adding this, tweaking this... sigh. Another hobby hole my $$ disappears down
LizardLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
jmaroon
Not Yet Wild

thanks lizard.. so now.. he has several ezgo's some of them have the pds (towswitch on controller and f/r switch in dash) and some of them don't have the tow switch and f/r switch is under the seat.. any difference in reliability? seems like somebody told me the rocker switch setup wasn't as good as the handle shifter.. but they may have been full of bull.. all are 04 and newer .. i think. all are same price.. lifted, painted, rear seat, lights, roof and no windshield, alum rims and all terrain tires.. my only dilemma is which controller do i want? i'm not looking for 30 mph, just want the most RELIABLE one..
Old 07-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

You need to talk to ScottyB at Carts Unlimited (hit the sponsor page)- tell him exactly what you're going to be using the cart for. He set me up with my 48v upgrade kit.

If I was driving mine mainly around the house, then I'd have a different setup. If you're going to hunt off of it, torque, torque and more torque. The first time you have 3 grown men on it and drop it off into a deep mudhole with a stock 36v motor and controller... someone's getting muddy

Mine did great (with the exception of the one time mentioned above) but I upgraded to 48V (just do it!) with a larger controller for more torque. Next up is the motor rewind through Plum Quick, adding the HD springs, some more off road lighting, etc. etc.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Those batteries are getting on in years as well. Mine had brand new ones when I bought my cart. Just something to think about - a battery change is $$.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome, good to see another Louisiana Boy on here. If you are going lifted, and will be hunting, everyone here will tell you to go with the series cart (non PDS) with the F/R under the seat. One is just as reliable as the other...until you start lifting, running larger tires, carrying extra weight, etc... The PDS carts just are not set up to do that and you could have overheating issues and fry the stock speed control. (Scottyb tought me that)

Mine is a PDS and I really like it, we'll see what happens next week when I slap some bigger rubber on it.
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
jmaroon
Not Yet Wild

so does 3850 seem like a good price for this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart1.jpg (74.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg cart.jpg (88.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, it is and it isn't...depends if you are handy with a wrench and enjoy projects. Here's what is there:

EZGO TXT - $1800
Lift Kit - 200
Wheels and tires - 500
Rear seat kit - 350
Lights - 80
Total = $2930.00

So you're looking at about a grand in labor costs to put it together, which is fair... Labor cost money. So It's up to you, drive off in a great looking cart and pay for the labor, or buy a plain jane cart, shop the sponsers on this site (and ebay) and build a custom cart for less money. Mine looked like I stole it from the golf course last month, but she is slowly coming to life.

Last edited by Scooter B; 07-21-2011 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter B View Post
Well, it is and it isn't...depends if you are handy with a wrench and enjoy projects. Here's what is there:

EZGO TXT - $1800
Lift Kit - 200
Wheels and tires - 500
Rear seat kit - 350
Lights - 80
Total = $2930.00

So you're looking at about a grand in labor costs to put it together, which is fair... Labor cost money. So It's up to you, drive off in a great looking cart and pay for the labor, or buy a plain jane cart, shop the sponsers on this site (and ebay) and build a custom cart for less money. Mine looked like I stole it from the golf course last month, but she is slowly coming to life.
Very accurate tutorial Scooter B.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Marsharo
Getting Wild
Yamaha

What year are the batteries? Is there any eletrical upgrades that should be considered?
Marsharo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO