lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default How much will they tow?

I am looking to buy a golf cart in the near future and most I see for sale are electric. I know that you can buy trailer hitches for carts, my question is just how much can be towed?

I will most likely get a 4 seater electric with a small lift. But not sold on the lift if I can't tow with one installed.

I want to pull a small utility trailer with 4-6 kids inside the trailer and 4 adults on the cart. I would be on paved roads that is flat for the most part. This is for halloween hay ride in the neighborhood.....

Am I crazy? Would a non lifted cart be better?

Thanks in advance
DoorKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How much will they tow?

The right cart with the right mods can do it...remember the golf cart was engineered for 2 people.

Start with a Series cart. install a larger controller pkg. Upgrade the Cable set and F&R. That will take care of the power issue.

A moderate 3-4 lift and 20 inch tires would be fine, 22 inch tires may be okay... but the remember the taller the tire the more load you are putting on the drive system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have an 81 yami g1 with a two stroke and I use it to move my boat trailer around with no problems. It's a ez load for a 25' boat weighing about 1200 lb's...
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

My 95 S-10 blazer crapped the bed about 2 miles from the house and I pulled it back home with my cart you see on the right with the mods you see below. Didn't have any problems at all.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
ChevyRacing75
Maybe This Weekend :)

Club Car

We were doing sled pulls at a trail ride. I think I pulled the sled plus 400 pounds of weight. Thats draging on the dirt. I do have some work done to my cart though
Ill try and find some videos
ChevyRacing75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have launched and recovered my 24' Pontoon using my Marathon but I also have done some electronic upgrades to it. A few years back I used one of my carts to pull a 36 foot plywood and steel 4 wheel farm trailer with 17 kids, 8 adults, 6 Peavey Monitors, a generator and stereo system on it in a GeorgeFest Parade here in town. It was a lot of stop and go and slow speed driving, but the trailer pulled with out any problems.

Scotty is correct, the key is going to be in the electronics. E-Z-GO reccomends that with stock electronics, you can use their tow bar system to pull no more than 3 carts behind you at a time using their permanent tow bar system. The average TXT weighs in at just shy of 1000 lbs. so figure that the stock cart is rated to pull 3000lbs of freeweight. Put in a higher torque motor, bigger controller, upgrade it to 48 volts and you shouldn't have any problem pulling that trailer with alot more than 6 kids in there.

The only issue I have with the lift idea is tongue weight. If the trailer is a tandem axle, or a 4 wheel farm trailer (the type that has wheels at the front and rear of the trailer instead of in the middle of it), then I see no problem pulling it with a lifted cart as the tongue weight is distributed better. If it's a single axle trailer, then you have to balance the load in the trailer so that the tongue weight remains low enough to not lift the front wheels and reduce steering effectiveness.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
DoorKicker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow, thanks guys for all the replies. I had no idea they would pull that much. But now that I think about, I worked at a golf course in college and I remember pulling golf carts hooked together and we used to pull more than three. I just didn't think about how that related to pulling a trailer.....

I am feeling better now about my descision to get a cart, now I just got to decide which one to get. There are so many out there to pick from.

Thanks again all.
DoorKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #8
ekgguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

And so it begins........

Make sure and post pictures of what you buy, and the Halloween party it works at. We Love Pics....
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
OlManRivah
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I've got a hitch on mine with a 2" ball and I tow boat trailers, yard carts, and anything else I want to pull.

And, mine's stock. As long as you keep the towing short, I see no problem. It's probably easier on the cart than 3 adults, 2 kids, and a dog.
OlManRivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #10
greenmonster
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorKicker View Post
I am looking to buy a golf cart in the near future and most I see for sale are electric. I know that you can buy trailer hitches for carts, my question is just how much can be towed?

I will most likely get a 4 seater electric with a small lift. But not sold on the lift if I can't tow with one installed.

I want to pull a small utility trailer with 4-6 kids inside the trailer and 4 adults on the cart. I would be on paved roads that is flat for the most part. This is for halloween hay ride in the neighborhood.....

Am I crazy? Would a non lifted cart be better?

Thanks in advance
I have a 2006 PDS with a 500 amp controller, 2 gauge wire throughout, HD solenoid, 8" lift, 23" tires, & stock motor. I have launched my Yamaha FX140 (3 seater) wave runner at a public launch about 2 miles from my camp. I also have pulled a full size converted boat trailer with 1000 lbs + of an oak tree in pieces. A golf cart is a pulling machine- with the right upgrades to a stock cart that is .
greenmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO