lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Default Strange Problem on EZ-GO

1988 Gas EZGO that I rebuilt entire engine last year. New crank, bearings, seals, cylinder, piston, etc. I pre-mix my oil with Amsoil. It ran awesome put two tanks total through it no problem. I was at a campground and needed some oil and all I could get was Injex. As soon as I seemed to use it around 5 minutes the cart seemed to be real hesitant on take off. It got to the point If I floored it, it would take a few seconds to fire then just pour out smoke clear out and run fine until I let off the gas then it would load up again. The funny thing is that in reverse it ran like a champ. I went everywhere in reverse with only a slight hesitation on take off. Now it simply will not fire at all in either direction. I changed the plug once allready. Any help would be great. What should I be pre mixing to? I was using Amsoil 100:1 oil and mixed it to 50:1. With the Injex I was mixing 80:1 just cause I thought it always ran rich with 50:1 mix. Thanks
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Night
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Strange Problem on EZ-GO

128 to 1 is what I have seen for most of those 2cyl. 1oz to gal of gas. You didn't use alcohol gas did you?

Give it a few more minutes and some one that does know will step in and set you on the right path. Me I hardly know what I'm doing most of the time.

Mark
Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

There is nothing wrong with Injex oil it is TC-W3 compliant. What is wrong is your ratio. You should take one ounce of oil and mix it with one gallon of gas this will give you the correct ratio of 128:1. Yes I know that it sounds dreadfully lean but adding more oil is counterproductive.

There could be several reasons for your problems but running better in reverse is troublesome as it might suggest that you crankshaft seals are worn. Now you recently replaced them so they should still be serviceable. Try grabbing the clutch and lifting the engine up and down, is there any movement?
It is also possible that running at 50:1 has clogged the muffler. A simple test is to loosen the two bolts between the pipe and the muffler to create an air gap, if the cart runs better then it is time to BBQ the muffler.
It maybe that your fuel pump has a pinhole in the diaphragm which allows fuel to weep into the crankcase thus causing the engine to run very rich. What you can do is pinch off the line between the tank and the pump. If the cart runs better (until the carburetor bowl empties) that would point to the pump. Or it might just be that your carburetor is due for a good clean.
The possibilities are seemingly endless but if you start with the muffler and the pump we can trace this through logically, but first get the ratio right and then use a new plug. It is my experience that once a 2 stroke plug craps out it very rarely cleans up again.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Night
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

See, I told you in a few someone would be right with you. And Dave is one of the best :)

Mark
Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

I will try that. I had no idea it needed to be that lean. I forgot to mention that when it got to the point that it would only drive in reverse if I took the hose off the carb for the air cleaner it ran fine. I do have a new air filter and nothing was clogging the passage way.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Little update: leaned out the gas and after two more plugs the same thing. It seems to get better once a new plug is in then it quits. Runs like a top in reverse until I try to run it in forward to long. The plugs are a dark brown on top but the cone in the plug are black. One plug was split down the long way brown on one side and black on the other. I gave up for the day and have not touched it since.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Also forgot to add it seems to help if I take right turns in a circle forward and bogg if I take left?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did you try Dave's exhaust trick yet? My cart was overmixed when I got it, and I had to have a muffler BBQ to get it cleaned out right.

It is OK for a plug to be dirty or have some carbon on it. If it's not wet coming out, and it has a robust spark when you ground and crank, it may not be fouled.

Thinking that with the odd behaviour you describe (runs better when turning in one direction and not the other, and reverse not forward) that this could potentially be a crank seal issue (as Dave highlighted).
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

I will try the muffler, crankshaft seals have about 5 hours on them.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thinking not that the seals are worn out, but possibly one has come loose, or may be defective.

Strange symptoms though - that it runs smoothly full out in R but not F? That kind of eliminates an "all the time" problem the fuel system (i.e. plugged carb), and also makes me think the muffler "could" be not plugged.

Throwing out random ideas - could the pulsar have slipped so that the timing of the spark is working in R, but not F? That would explain some fouling if the plug is firing late or early in F.

Or, could there be an issue with the fuel feed line from the tank? Reverse moves the fuel to the front of the tank, while forward moves it to the back. Right turns move the fuel to the left, while left turns move it to the right. Could it even be the motion affecting the float in the carb?

Just some ideas - as long as you're sure the crank seals are still in place and undamaged, might as well start looking at other things.
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO