lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
bigstump56
Not Yet Wild

Default What are my options?

I am new to golf carts. I inherited what I believe to be a '94 EZ Go electric car from my grandmother, which needs batteries. I am a big time hunter and would love to convert this cart to use for hunting if I can do it for a reasonable price. What are my options, lets say keep it in the $1,000 or less range? I am thinking of converting to a gas engine or possibly 48v, but I don't know how to do either and not sure either can be done in my price range. I just don't want to spend $2,000 on this cart. Help me as much as possible guys, thanks in advance for all your help.
bigstump56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What are my options?

What type of cart do you have? Series? DCS?

Click to figure it out.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstump56 View Post
EDITED.....
1. I inherited what I believe to be a '94 EZ Go electric car from my grandmother,

2. which needs batteries.

3. I am a big time hunter and would love to convert this cart to use for hunting if I can do it for a reasonable price. What are my options, lets say keep it in the $1,000 or less range?

4. I am thinking of converting to a gas engine or possibly 48v, but I don't know how to do either and not sure either can be done in my price range. I just don't want to spend $2,000 on this cart.

1. First, we need to know what you've got.
In addition to the chart as350pilot posted, this website might help
http://www.shopezgo.com/customer-ser...ialNumber.html

2. The cost of a new set of batteries will wipe out most of the $1k mentioned in Q# 3.
FWIW - Be sure to fully charge new batteries before use and be sure to break them in properly to get max storage capacity.

3. It depends on where you hunt. If you hunt on terrain similar to a golf course, not much modification is needed. If getting from your campsite to your hunting site covers terrain that is hilly, swampy or sandy, you'll probably want to tailor your cart for your specific needs. If you have a Series cart (Series wound motor), $1k in addition to the cost of replacing batteries, would let you upgrade to heavier cables, higher ampacity controller and F/R switch, or at least be in the ballpark.

If your cart has a Sepex (Separately Excited) motor, you'll be better off trading your guns for golf clubs and taking up a new sport, or trading your cart for one with a series motor, or a gasser.

4. If you want a gasser, use you electric cart for a down payment. Going to 48V can give you more speed and/or torque, but you have to figure out where to put two more 6V batteries unless you are willing to sacrifice run-time. (8V batteries that occupy the same space as 6V batteries will give you 1/3 more voltage and 1/3 less run-time)

Bottom line, some of the guys here have built cart off-road and might advise if you can better define your cart and what you want to do with it. (IE: Several types of carts, several types of hunting and several types of terrain)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
northwestfarmtn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstump56 View Post
I am new to golf carts. I inherited what I believe to be a '94 EZ Go electric car from my grandmother, which needs batteries. I am a big time hunter and would love to convert this cart to use for hunting if I can do it for a reasonable price. What are my options, lets say keep it in the $1,000 or less range? I am thinking of converting to a gas engine or possibly 48v, but I don't know how to do either and not sure either can be done in my price range. I just don't want to spend $2,000 on this cart. Help me as much as possible guys, thanks in advance for all your help.
$1000 is a tight budget you could eat that up on a good set of batteries. next, 300 for a lift kit, a few hundred more for bigger tires, converting to 48v an extra couple hundred in batteries, possibly a controller for another 400, Hd solenoid and F/R switch new cables ect. ect. ect.for another couple hundred it can get real expensive quick,
northwestfarmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

94 is either a Marathon or a Medalist. Series wound Non-DCS/PDS.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO