lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
dw17
Not Yet Wild

Default robin 244cc

just bought a 86 ez go marathon with a robins 244ccc 2pg in it,come to find out it has a busted piston in the cylinder,wondering if theses motors are worth rebuilding ,or is there any other options i can take? ty
dw17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: robin 244cc

Definitely worth rebuilding IMO. A complete top & bottom end rebuild kit will set you back $350 - $400. A top end only kit is around $150 - $200.
Plumbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Do it, that little 2PG is a great engine and will out perform the 4 stroke boys. There are many of us here that have taken the engine down to the last nut and bolt and will be happy to help out.

Oh and happy halloween BOO!

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
dw17
Not Yet Wild

thanks guys for the reply,wasnt sure about the motor,have heard good an bad
about the motors.Were is the best place to order parts for it when i get ready to rebuild it?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I got mine from an ebay listing by J&M Golf Carts for $350 shipped. After a lot of searching, thats the best price I found for a complete top and bottom end kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Z-GO-GOLF-...item3f0c136471

CartZone and a few other places have the top end kits for less than $200.

http://www.cartszone.com/catalog/cart09/4554.htm

When I was getting ready to rebuild my cart, Dave gave me a good suggestion for checking the condition of the crank bearings and bottom end. Grab the clutch and lift upward. If the clutch moves and the engine doesn't, you should do a complete rebuild. To me, I think its a better idea to go ahead and do the bottom end too while you have it apart. That way you KNOW you'll have a strong running cart for many years to come. Either way, you'll want to replace the crankshaft seals while you're at it.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

As a gesture of thanks to this forum you should use one of their sponsors, however my favorite www.everythingcarts.com do not offer the full rebuild kit. They are all made by the same people in India so don't worry about price v. quality.

If you get the full kit you will end up with a new engine and your price target should be < $400. If you elect to just do the top end look for <$200

Before you make a decision grab hold of the drive clutch and ty to lift the engine. If you see any movement of the crankshaft relative to the block then your bearings are shot and you really need to address that. If you decide on just the top end kit, which is a cylinder, piston and gaskets then I urge you to also purchase new crankshaft seals. These are, second to the piston, one of the most important parts instrumental to the smooth running of your engine.

Anyhoo, as I like to say, it is your cart, your money and your call. Let us know where you want to go.

Dave
Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

and Plumbergs, if we are going to tread on each others toes I shall stop dancing with you
Old 10-31-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
dw17
Not Yet Wild

thanks for all the info dave/plumer,i lifted up on clutch an there is some movement in the crankshaft slack
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
and Plumbergs, if we are going to tread on each others toes I shall stop dancing with you
lol.. Sorry Dave, we must have been typing our reply at the same time.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Plumbergs, thats ok but next time I lead ok?

dw17. Now you know your bearings are shot and if you do not replace them they will tear your seals to shreds and your engine will not run. I would not presume to tell you how to spend your money but if it were mine I would get the complete kit and to be frank that ebay link the Plumbergs sent you is a sharp deal.

Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO