lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
stephentrainer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default My first G9, the saga begins...

Decided I wanted to build a cart after renting a few for events and getting out run by 12 years olds on foot... I've been eyeing Craiglist for a inexpensive gasser when I saw a 93 G9 for $200! Seeing the post was only an hour old I called the guy ready to purchase but someone was already on their way to get it. Two hours later I saw a post for a $400 G9 which turned out to be the same cart! Guy bought it for $200 and then flipped it for $400. My bad luck but $400 still seemed like a deal so I raced the 90 miles and bought it knowing that it didn't run but "the guy I bought it from said it ran two weeks ago."

I want to get it running and then start the restoration. Engine does not turn over currently when pedal is depressed and there is no voltage to the start terminal at the starter relay (red and white wire I think...) Hoping for some time to work on it tomorrow and sort it out.

Thanks to everyone for this great cart community, look forward to learning a lot!
stephentrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: My first G9, the saga begins...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...turn-over.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Dlcain
Gone Completely Insane

Club Car

Looking foward to your G9 restoration! Are you going back to stock, or do you have upgrades in mind?
Dlcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
stephentrainer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Definitely want to upgrade! Did a little electrical diag today, found one of the previous owners had cut out the fuse holder for the 10 amp fuse. Soldered in a new fuse holder and it attempts to turn over, but the engine will only rotate a few degrees and stops. If I grab the clutch and rotate backwards it will rotate the same few degrees and stop. Same issue rotating by hand, I think the connecting rod is probably bent. I poured some penetrating oil on top of the piston and will let it sit overnight in the off chance the rings are just sticking but I have a feeling the engine will need to come out.

Maybe those upgrades will come sooner rather than later!
Old 11-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Sounds like a rebuild is in order. How about a sled motor swap? If the rear end and clutches are in good order, you could install a snowmobile engine in there and have lots of power to outrun those kids!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
stephentrainer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Pulled the engine out and tore it down, connecting rod is broken. There was a little water in the case, I bet it was hydro-locked. Trying decide if I want to rebuild this one or upgrade engines. What engine are the snowmobiles equipped with?
Old 11-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Dlcain
Gone Completely Insane

Club Car

If you can beleive that it ran a few weeks ago I wouldn't think the rings would be siezed either. Doesn't take long to pull the motor and inspect. Will give you a better idea where to go from there. Good luck & let us know!

okay, so we posted at the same time...lol Not familiar with snowmobile motor upgrades. Lots of info in the big block section though.

Last edited by Dlcain; 11-26-2011 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: because
Dlcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

predator engine from harbor freight $275 after tax and 20% off coupon. clutch adapder $53 and a few extra parts and just a little bit of welding and you will have a cart that will make you smile ear to ear. plus all the advise and help you will ever need from this site.

WELCOME TO BUGGIES GONE WILD
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
stephentrainer
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Pretty interesting, esp since a reman 285cc replacement is over $1000 shipped and the parts to rebuild it myself are around $700. Have you done this swap? You make sound like its not too big a hassle. Looking for a stop gap until I go to a V-Twin maybe next fall.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hmmm - someone was just mentioning something about selling a G9 engine yesterday or earlier today. Can't remember the thread or the person, but I'm sure someone will.
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha