lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 rear end fluid

I just want to double check my self since my cart is an oplder 2 stroke I should use 80w90 correct? I know the newer ones use 30w. Thanks
milky7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1984 rear end fluid

Some say 30w some say 80/90 some say synthetic can't see why a good 80/90 wouldn't work. If changed every couple seasons and no leaks I'd say your good to go.
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

My $0.02 is that you should use 80/90 as that is what the manual suggests. There is some confusion as to viscosity. The Society of Automotive Engineers has a separate viscosity rating system for gear, axle, and manual transmission oils, SAE J306, which should not be confused with engine oil viscosity. The higher numbers of a gear oil (e.g. 75W-140) do not mean that it has higher viscosity than an engine oil. In fact 30 weight engine oil has approximately the same viscosity as 90 weight gear oil. I believe that this has lead to some controversy as to the use of 30 weight in the differential.

That said there are probably many 30 year old carts out there happily running on the original oil so I really wouldn't sweat the petty stuff.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
milky7272
Not Yet Wild

Dave I adjusted the cable like you said and I have no backfiring at all! The spring was there buy it was backed off about 2" from the lever on the carb.I may take off the oil system next but this thing is sweet. Not to bad for the three hundred I gave for it. Thanks agian for all the help.
milky7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Happy to help Milky, I hope you and your cart have many happy trails. If you need any advice on removing the oil system just shout out.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO