lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #21
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Can I install the front Cowl WITHOUT rivets

I'm getting ready to install universal fog lights (as headlights) on my 2008 TXT and I want to install a plate for mounting the lights. I plan to use stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers instead of the two plastic rivets for mounting the plate. I feel this will make a more substantial mount for the lights, rather than mounting directly to the plastic cowl. The plastic rivets are fine for holding the lightweight cowl in place, but a little weak for the addition of the lights. - RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 02-16-2012 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: correct spelling
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
I'm getting ready to install universal fog lights (as headlights) on my 2008 TXT and I want to install a plate for mounting the lights. I plan to use stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers instead of the two plastic rivets for mounting the plate. I feel this will make a more substantial mount for the lights, rather than mounting directly to the plastic cowl. The plastic rivets are fine for holding the lightweight cowl in place, but a little weak for the addition of the lights. - RAY
My fog lights are mounted on the front bumper just below the cowl and work fine. They are bolted through the plastic into a metal support behind it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 391911_2632786025094_1418708008_3036308_1010830950_n.jpg (94.0 KB, 13 views)
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
rib33024

you could use some of these, and you would be able to remove it when you want
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sn116.jpg (2.9 KB, 66 views)
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
you could use some of these, and you would be able to remove it when you want
I am thinking of something along those line now since the platic temporary rivet from out parts stores simply don't expand enough. They only expand a little bit so they only work if the holes are just a hair larger than the rivet. any play at all (which I have) and they will pull out. I am thinking of just gluing a thin peice of aluminum I have in my garage along the back edge and drill some holes in it where the plastic holes are then screws can go through it and into the aluminum bar to hold on. I will try to see if I can find some of those clips first though, if they dont get in the way they will work just fine.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
TerryH
Let's go racin' boyz!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonequest View Post
I am thinking of something along those line now since the platic temporary rivet from out parts stores simply don't expand enough. They only expand a little bit so they only work if the holes are just a hair larger than the rivet. any play at all (which I have) and they will pull out. I am thinking of just gluing a thin peice of aluminum I have in my garage along the back edge and drill some holes in it where the plastic holes are then screws can go through it and into the aluminum bar to hold on. I will try to see if I can find some of those clips first though, if they dont get in the way they will work just fine.
Gluing the strip of aluminum might be an idea that will work but I don't think the clips will. The holes in the factory front end are to close to the top for any configuration of clip that I found to work. There is to much clip past the hole to get onto the tab far enough for the holes to line up. I worked on this for weeks before I gave up and riveted mine. Hope you come up with a better mouse trap. I'm certainly open for suggestions.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #26
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Gluing the strip of aluminum might be an idea that will work but I don't think the clips will. The holes in the factory front end are to close to the top for any configuration of clip that I found to work. There is to much clip past the hole to get onto the tab far enough for the holes to line up. I worked on this for weeks before I gave up and riveted mine. Hope you come up with a better mouse trap. I'm certainly open for suggestions.
Got it! I didn't think about those good old clips RIB33024 mentioned. I had a bunch of different ones in my bolts and nuts drawers. I just got in from the garage where I tried this out. I did run into the problem you are talking about and the solution is to cut (twist and snap on these) some of it off to make it shorter, on the back side part it had to just be bent to give better clearance. My clips had holes so they snapped off easily otherwise a dremel may be needed to make them a little smaller. I will put the front on with them later when I have time. The screws are small head black ones so the washer will be the recessed plastic part of the plastic rivets that didn't work out. I will just cut off the back and keep the flared front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-02-16_18-08-29_612.jpg (230.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-16_18-09-22_378.jpg (99.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #27
rib33024

This is where I found them, they have all kinds. --- iam sure they have them at the auto parts store

http://www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/...age/584919.htm
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #28
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I have one of the two bolts going through the bracket that holds the cowl in place, the other is just a not/bolt in the plastic, with a 1" washer. The tricky part was to insulate the bolt from the bracket, since my lights have a negative ground internally, even though they do have a two wire pigtail coming out. It's held up quite well. Again, I'm using the two bolts that hold the cowl to the two brackets, and the other two are just nut/bolt/washers. Use nylocks.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #29
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I have one of the two bolts going through the bracket that holds the cowl in place, the other is just a not/bolt in the plastic, with a 1" washer. The tricky part was to insulate the bolt from the bracket, since my lights have a negative ground internally, even though they do have a two wire pigtail coming out. It's held up quite well. Again, I'm using the two bolts that hold the cowl to the two brackets, and the other two are just nut/bolt/washers. Use nylocks.
But golf carts don't have a negative ground system. I'm running a negative and positive wire to all circuits, all the metal in my cart is essentially just neutral.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
jonequest
Gone Wild

Okay back to the front cowl issue. The clips with screws works perfectly. The only thing I had to do was put some foil tape to hold the clips in place because a couple of them were falling off when I put the cowl on to the body. You can also see that the cowl fits tight into the front rim as it should. For the "washers" I used the plastic rivets that was my original idea and just sliced the backs off them, essentially making them plastic washers. I also show how I am using a screw/washer and nut on the bottom to hold it in place as well. I now have NO rivets holding the front cowl on. It is easy to remove and reinstall now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-02-16_18-09-22_378.jpg (99.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-17_01-37-28_336.jpg (241.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-17_01-38-30_517.jpg (297.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-17_01-42-42_590.jpg (162.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-02-17_01-43-15_878.jpg (214.7 KB, 17 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO