lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
hamiltonvideo
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 issue

I have had a 1982 G1 for a year now. When purchased it had several problems with it and I believe one is coming back to haunt me. However, I do not know much about engines so came here for advice.

Originally the gas line that comes out of the tank was old and broken right up against the tank. We replaced it with some metal tubing that was nearly the exact same size and seemed to work. After an entire summer of the cart running fine I started to have an issue that progressively got worse. When I went down a very large hill and got to the bottom, the cart would be running but have no power to even move. For the first couple of times I would get it going again after about 2-3 minutes. The last time I golfed last fall it was stuck and I couldn't get it to move for nearly 30 minutes.

Do you think the tubing we used is causing an issue with gas being taken in? I looked through about 15 pages of these forums and didn't see a similair case. I guess it could be anything but that just seemed like the obvious choice. I am about to order the part but figured I would ask here before wasting my money.
hamiltonvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 issue

Two things come to mind. One is the fuel and pump lines need to be in good condition and not leak. Any leak can lose the prime of the pump. If that happens and the tank is low, a pulse pump has a hard time lifting the fuel in particular if its not in good condition or has a leak. If the pulse line gets a leak it weakens the pumping action. So you might fill the tank and its fine, because then it gravity feeds. If you have cracked looking lines I would advise you replace all of them it should not cost that much or be hard to do.

Second is the carb on that should be set to idle. When you push the pedal just to start it should (when warm) sit there and idle, a slow idle. This way nobody can ever run the cart slowly on the starter and kill the battery, it also burns any gas from the carb. In the manual they are supposed to be set this way. They also start faster/better this way because they have a proper mix from the carb. Mixture gets messed up with no airflow. Some newer 4 stroke carts are better with no idle but I run G1 and G2/9 this way. You press the pedal more and throttle opens and off you go.

2 strokes also tend to need new sparkplugs more often.

Note the generator spins the engine when the pedal is down, if it is running or not. If it turns over and will not go, then it is not running it is just the generator turning it. If it is set to idle you should be able to hear the exhaust to know it is running or not. The mufflers do get plugged up badly and makes them quieter, if it is plugged from slow and short trip running.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
procomp
Not Yet Wild

So a G1 should idle? I figured being a golf cart it always stalls out when you stop.
Mine has never idled and I've never adjusted it to try and make it idle.
procomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by procomp View Post
So a G1 should idle? I figured being a golf cart it always stalls out when you stop.
Mine has never idled and I've never adjusted it to try and make it idle.
It does, it will only idle when you push the pedal just enough to start it. Its set that way so the carb has a proper mixture in off throttle conditions and starts better in my experience. It also makes it impossible for someone to run the cart on the starter and kill the battery trying to go really slow.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
yamaha g1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

hey sho305 I have a 1979 G1 and was wondering how to set the carb to idle.THANKS for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yamaha g1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Jakesbackyard
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'm all ears too. Mine runs great and all, but doesn't really just sit and idle. I have to keep my foot on the pedal just slightly to keep it idling. As soon as I let off the pedal completely it dies. I figured that was the way it worked.
Jakesbackyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha