lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
SoCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Towing with the G9... Torque kit?

So I am a little farther along. Got the rear hitch installed and I am fabricating a front mount.

I thinking about installing a "Torque Kit" but I want to understand what they do first. Ideally I would like to lower the starting gear ratio. Is this what a Torque Kit does?

Example of kit is here: http://tinyurl.com/torquekit

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Towing with the G9... Torque kit?

A torque kit cannot lower the actual gear ratio, it's just a spring and spacer. It can, however increase the effective of felt gear ratio by allowing the engine revolutions to increase past the normal shift out points thus multiplying the starting torque ratio's as a function of horsepower.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
SoCal
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I understand about the spring and spacer, but what about the clutch sheave? What purpose does the modified sheave serve?
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
toadady
Gone Wild

Yamaha

it puts the slider sleeve closer to the fixed, making the belt ride up higher in the pully , giving it a larger O.D. , giving you just a few more RPM's until they start to separate,
toadady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
I understand about the spring and spacer, but what about the clutch sheave? What purpose does the modified sheave serve?
Same diff...no pun intended. Takes longer to open the secondary as the ramps are machined at a less steep, or lower angle. The combination of the two accomplish the same thing, keeping the belt lower in the secondary clutch while allowing the stock motor to achieve more horsepower by revving higher (putting the belt higher into the primary clutch) and into it's power curve. With a larger engine these modifications become unnecessary and often a nuisance as the torque is available at the low rpm's, and a faster shift out becomes an advantage.
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha