lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
scphun
Not Yet Wild

Question Help with extra heavy G9

So the cart i'm talking about is here

It weighs a ton and after driving for about 30 min it starts to back fire and not be too happy in general. I tend to drive it at 2-8mph because people get in the way and want to be exterminated.

Should i get a torque spring and install a fan blowing on the engine? Is a fan necessary? Is driving at slow speeds with excess weight a bad idea?
scphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Help with extra heavy G9

If you do anything get a cut sheave, or cut yours down. Its the alum sheave in the rear with the ramps on it. You cut the inside face so it goes closer to the other side and pushes the belt up more. This will give you a lower gear at low speeds. Remember fan is on the crank so low rpm is low cooling for the engine. It should not get hot then however you have a lot of weight and maybe lower airflow. I would experiment with a fan that blows air out the rear of the engine area to get the heat out is my best guess. You can also get a snapdisk fan control for a furnace and put it on the engine head or near it, then run the fan through that. They are cheap at graingers or other furnace parts places. Of course if you get one for low temp then don't put it right on the engine, they also have adjustable ones. Get a "close with temp rise" one. You could also cut a hole in the bagwell and ventilate through that depending on how your rig works there. You could get exhuast out of there. You can wind more preload on the secondary spring and use a fairly new belt to help it also. Another thing is make sure the rocker cover did not leak it will drip oil on the cooling fins and plug them up with dirt. Have to take the cowling off the engine and clean it all, I used brake cleaner spray on mine.

BTW cool looking cart, if you could only get some liquid plasma for the guns....but some lasers might work at night.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Now that is pretty artistic right there. Good job.

I would really be mindful of your exhaust in that. Be sure it is all going out the back and you guys are breathing any of the fumes.

As far as heat goes, do you get really hot? If so, then I'd ventilate it somehow with a couple of small electric fans. You'll have to keep an eye on your charging if constantly sitting with the engine not running. And don't ground anything to the frame (negative battery post grounding only).

I take this cart is not lifted so its iffy on a torque spring. A torque spring with stock tires will cause the cart to basically crawl. I'd lift it 4 inches and put 20 inch tires on it and then get a torque spring. You could make a skirting for the bottom to make up the difference to the ground. Lifting would probably give a little more airflow to the engine as well depending on the outside covering to ground. Another little thing to think about, the torque spring will also make the cart jerk a tad more on take off which is something you may need to consider.

You might also think about getting some heavier shocks if that thing is really heavy. Possibly some for an ATV (4 wheeler).

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
scphun
Not Yet Wild

Wow thanks for the suggestions here!

I did end up putting some very stiff shocks on and that really helped with the rocking back and forth. So, I don't want to have it too jerky at the start, so maybe i'll forgo the torque spring.

Would adjusting the carb when the engine is running hot and optimizing conditions for high heat help.?

I like the idea of a furnace type fan pushing air on the block and trying to channel that and the exhaust all in one go. Sometimes the exhaust will stick around the engine compartment when slowing down; so, maybe high heat and exhaust are combining to make my problems worse.

Thanks for the compliments you guys!
scphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You might be able to fit a boat bilge fan behind the drive belt and have it blow out/under the rear bumper. I wonder about a fan blowing in because they can pick up dirt/etc that close to the ground and if through the body you hear the noise and all that. You can put a lighted switch on it on the dash so you don't forget its on. Most of those don't take much power, though they might not blow enough air not sure.

That is why I suggest a cut secondary sheave, it gives a lower gear and still operates like stock with stock spring and all. You can cut yours its really easy for any machine shop. Alternatively you could try the HD kevlar belt from CPP, it is a little wider and rides higher on the secondary like a cut sheave would do for you...but I've not run it yet I started a thread on it.

If you have room in there you can put offset wheels on it even with stock tires, that will make it more stable. You could also put spacers on the back maybe front too but they might be more than wheels are. You could put some small tires on the body you made on the sides, so if it tipped enough they would hit, but I can't see how far the body hangs out.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha