lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
dannyvp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default powerwise charging issues

I have an 2002 ezgo 36 vlt cart. When I got it, I was told I would need to wiggle the handle or brace the handle so that it would charge. I charged it once I think then it set for several months. When I plugged it back in, it did not charge. I was told to jumper the resistor on the board and see if it worked. It did. So I bought a new board. I charged it and drove it around no worries. the other day I went to check it it, no charge. So I jumped the resistor and it kicked on, I charged for a few hours then switched it back and plugged it up. Nothing happened. So I jumped it again for another few hours. Switched it again and nothing. 1 more time then for several hours and nothing. I wonder if the board is bad or if it is not charging correctly? The system is receiving a charge now as the cart will now beep, and move a small amount, but after half a day of this, I would assume to get much more out of it.

Ideas???

dannyvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: powerwise charging issues

Welcome to BGW!

First of all, you probably need a new set of batteries, because letting the cart sit for months probably killed the ones that are now in it.

Secondly, your charger will not turn on unless the battery pack voltage is above about 28V, so I hope you kept the original control board, because it is probably good.

Which "Resistor" did you jumper? Perhaps you meant "Relay", the black box on the board that has two heavy wires with bluish translucent insulators, plugged into it. That relay is what turns the charger on when the battery pack voltage sensed by the charger is high enough and subsequently turns the charger off when the battery pack reaches a predetermined on-charge voltage. (Which is 44V to 46V for a 36V battery pack)

One of the biggest and most expensive mistake new cart owners make, is not keeping their batteries charged.
Lead-Acid wet cell batteries do not have a memory and do not need to be discharged to some arbitrary level before they are recharged.
In fact, for maximum life span, the batteries need to be kept as fully charged as possible.

In a nutshell:
If you drive the cart that day, charge the batteries that night.
If the cart sits without being driven for a week, charge the batteries.
If the cart is going to be in storage over the winter months, charge the batteries once a month, or better yet, connect a float charger to them.

New batteries have to be fully charged before their first use. Even if the vendor swears on a stack of dusty books that they have been charged, fully charge them before using them.
Then they have to be broken in properly to obtain their maximum storage capacity. (Until "matured" new batteries will only store about 75% of their maximum capacity.)
Here is how to do it. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
While on website read everything with "Battery" in title. Lots of good info....

------------
Having to wiggle or brace the handle means that the contacts need to be cleaned and/or adjusted.

--------
If you don't already have a DMM (Digital Miulti Meter) you need to get one.
An inexpensive one sold in a blister package from a auto parts of big-box store will suffice.

-----------
Here is a chart showing battery voltage vs State of Charge.
You never, ever want to discharge your batteries below 50% SoC.

----------
That's a lot of info to digest. Be glad to answer any follow-up questions you have.

Added: The black wire in the foreground of the first picture doesn't appear to be attached, that is the battery sense wire going the the charger output cable and if not connected to board, it would prevent the control board from turning on charger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 10-15-2012 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When it becomes necessarily to wiggle or shim the charger plug in the cart receptacle in order to get a connection it is usually time to replace the radsok connectors in the cart receptacle. They are not cheap but nearly every Ezgo needs a replacement pair in it's lifetime. Expect to pay about $40 a pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch.jpg (76.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
dannyvp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Johnnie you are correct I jumpered the Relay.
Speaking of the relay, I think maybe the wires are in the wrong spot due to a video I saw this weekend on you tube. But for all I know it might not matter.
So a few questions, and I appricate the help. If I jumper the relay, how long should it have to charge to get to the charge state to unjumper it and charge it regular? What can yall tell me about a float charger? Place to buy and price? Will some sort of timer work, for charging?

I did take my multi meter and check all fuses and connections to make sure the connectivity was good.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
dannyvp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Looks like maybe this will help.
Schauer JAC0336MAN 36 volt golf cart maintainer
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyvp View Post
1. Johnnie you are correct I jumpered the Relay.
2. ........... , I think maybe the wires are in the wrong spot due to a video I saw this weekend on you tube. But for all I know it might not matter.
3. ........... If I jumper the relay, how long should it have to charge to get to the charge state to unjumper it and charge it regular?
4. What can yall tell me about a float charger? Place to buy and price?
5. Will some sort of timer work, for charging?
6. I did take my multi meter and check all fuses and connections to make sure the connectivity was good.
1. Okay, now I know what you did. Bypassing the rely is sometimes used when battery pack is too low to initiate the charge, or if the control board fails, it is sometimes used as a temporary fix to keep the batteries charged while waiting for a replacement control board to arrive.

2. With two exceptions, the wiring on the board looks okay.
a. Red wire need to be connected to push-on male connector on heat sink, (Aluminum panel on right in second picture.)
b. The Black wire appears to be loose in first picture, needs to be connected or soldered back to the board.
The small gauge Black and Red wires attach to the board with push-on connectors on some boards and are soldered on other boards. There should either be an empty male push-on or a broken wire where it was soldered to.

3. Depends on the health of the batteries, how deeply they are discharged and how many amps the charger is putting out. It could take a couple hours or more.

Make sure the plates are covered, (Distilled water only), bypass the relay and run the charger until the on-charge pack voltage climbs to around 42V.
Then connect the relay the way it is supposed to be and let charger run until it shuts off automatically.

To fully charge your battery pack from a State of Charge too low to turn on the charger, I suspect it will take 12 hours or more, IF those batteries will even take a charge.

4. Float charge and Trickle charge are sometimes used interchangeably, but they are quite different.
A trickle charge is basically limits the charge current to a low value like 2 or 3 Amps.
A float charge is a constant voltage charge with the voltage being regulated to a level above the typical at rest voltage (38.2V for a 36V battery pack) and below the voltage (about 42.3V) that heavy gassing occurs. For a 36V pack, a float charge is typically about 39.4V.

I use a DPI Accusense charger that automatically goes into a float charge mode when the regular charge cycle completes and when I'm not actually driving my cart, it is attached to the charger. It costs about $285.

The Schauer JAC0336MAN you mentioned might do the job, but I'm not familiar with it.

5. Yes, but a full charge isn't determined by time.
About 4 to 6 hour is what batteries discharged to 70% SoC usually take and 12 to 16 hours won't hurt them.

6. Like Scotty said, the Radsoks probably need to be replaced, but you might get lucky.
The battery voltage is sensed by the Auxiliary contact in the plug (Item 36 in the drawing) touching the outside of the negative Radsok in the receptacle (One with black wire attached in the picture Scotty posted))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger Plug - opened.JPG (40.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
dannyvp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am assuming that there is specific places I need to read the voltage on the battery pack?

The item number 36 in the cord, seems to be good. I check it with the meter, or rather I should say, it has connectivity. I guess it could still be bad.

Would that loose red wire, stop the system from charging?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
birdleg1981
Getting Wild
Club Car

Hey Danny. I just wanna say hey. Short distant neighbors, from here in Memphis. If ya need help, gimme a holler..... Im inin Hernando alot for work related stuff
birdleg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyvp View Post
1. I am assuming that there is specific places I need to read the voltage on the battery pack?

2. The item number 36 in the cord, seems to be good. I check it with the meter, or rather I should say, it has connectivity. I guess it could still be bad.

3. Would that loose red wire, stop the system from charging?
1. Connect DVM negative test lead to terminal B- cable is attached to and positive test lead to the terminal B+ cable is attached to.
See drawing.

2. I was suggesting that it and the outside of the negative Radsok be cleaned. If you still have the wiggle the plug to get charger to turn on (after it is fixed), the Radsoks should be replaced.

3. Yes and No. It will stop the control board from turning on the charger, but it will not stop the charger from charging if the relay is bypassed.

Remember, all the control board does is turn the charger on and off.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
dannyvp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks alot. I will check this while at camp this weekend.
If i can get a charge on the batteries, i will know where i stand.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO