lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
krugerand777
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Smoking and smelling F/R switch

I just bought a 2000 EZGO that I thought was all set up but am having couple issues. It goes very slow up a fairly minor hill and then the F/R switch puts out a burning smell and actually smokes and is obviously getting very hot. The plate says F300 and serial number 1280054. The cart is lifted with 22 in oversized tires and a jakes lift kit. It is a 36V with an Alltrax NPX controller and I think a HD F/R switch. The top end speed is fine but i would like to have more torque or power going up hills and obviously concerned about the smoking/smelling switch. I am attaching some pics to help identify my current setup. I was told the batteries are new and have checked the water levels. The charger does not seem to ever shut off either if that makes any sense. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0853.jpg (166.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0855.jpg (106.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0856.jpg (209.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0857.jpg (200.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0859.jpg (196.0 KB, 0 views)
krugerand777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Dp Custom Carts
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Smoking and smelling F/R switch

Your batterys are bad mostlikely. try to test them with a load meter. if it isnt that its either your F&R swich a loss connection. check your solenoid too.
Dp Custom Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
krugerand777
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I will try to get a battery multimeter tomorrow to test the batteries and get a digital readout. It does seem to have plenty of go on flat ground so that is why I think the batteries are ok. I wouldn't think bad batteries would cause any smoking of the F/R switch though??

Does anyone recognize the mods that have been done on this cart and know if they are adequate or causing problems?

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'd carefully label the wires and insulate them as you remove them, and take the FNR out and inspect/clean it. If it gets too hot, it can melt where the posts/lugs attach, and cause them to get a poor connection, which will lead to ultimate failure. Ask me how I know.

It may be too late to save yours, if the plastic has distorted.

As to your upgrades, bigger tires will always cause your motor to pull more amps, assuming your controller can provide them. That will put strain on the cables, FNR, and solenoid.

If it's a series motor, slowing down uphill is just what they do. How much depends on available volts, amps, number and weights of passengers, controller amps, etc.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
krugerand777
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the recommendation Yurtle. How do I insulate the wires? Black electrical tape? The very ends near the posts look like they are exposed but do not look very melted. The whole FnR also does not look too bad but has that same bad smell and smoke.

From my pictures can you tell if that is already a heavy duty FnR switch? Just wondering if the Alltrax was matched up correctly etc.?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Re take the pics now that the sun is up.... those are too dark to see.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
krugerand777
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi Scotty,
Hopefully these pics turn out better. I can take more specifically if you just tell me what angle you are looking for. A couple of nuts on the front facing part of the plate look pretty rusted (pic 870) but that is not where the main motor wires attach so I wouldn't think that would be the problem.
Thnx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0860.jpg (86.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0870.jpg (98.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0878.jpg (84.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0879.jpg (87.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0880.jpg (106.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Pic #1 shows a control marked for stock motors only and sometime last night you posted a pic of an EMP 2 spd motor. The F&R looks stock, the solenoid looks stock, the cables look stock.

I think the motor is drawing more amperage than the system can deliver without heat issues.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
krugerand777
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Oh boy, so what does that mean to you as far as a solution. The guy I bought it from says he never had any problems with it all.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The guy you bought it from may not have driven it as hard or long as you have?

Basically the aftermarket motor required an aftermarket controller which he got... but the aftermarket controller allows the motor to draw more amperage which if it is not delivered in the proper size cable and through the proper size contacts in the F&R and Solenoid it will cause heat issues which can result in component failure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO